AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still questioning if I should be getting an Hdmi receiver or not.

I only have 1 hdmi device (oppo dvd player), and my Tv has 2 hdmi inputs.

I need a receiver just for audio power, not so much for video control.

Would it make sense to get a "cheaper" receiver, without hdmi inputs and plug the dvd directly to the Tv (thru hdmi), and run an audio cable to the receiver; would the sound be the same that way vs. hdmi cable thru a receiver that would extract the sound?

If the sound is pretty much the same, then what would be a good receiver with features like multi room and 5 or 7 channels for around $300?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Question raph21, Do you ever plan on going with Blu-ray or HD DVD? If the answer is yes, your best bet would be to look for a receiver that can handle LPCM over HDMI. More and more source gear in the next few years will output their sound over HDMI.

Just something to consider as you look for your receiver...

·
Registered
436 Posts
There is a pretty big following for the Panasonic SA-XR57 here. I don't own one but it seems it will do what your looking for as well as accept LPCM over HDMI. Might be worth looking into.

You can post a few questions about it in the dedicated thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=680833

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Adam,

the features look good, the only thing is I need a black receiver to go with the rest of the living room...

How about the onkyo 604, it's at $350 at accessories4less.com, and the pioneer 1015, any recommandations?

·
Registered
83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raph21 /forum/post/0

Thanks Adam,

the features look good, the only thing is I need a black receiver to go with the rest of the living room...

How about the onkyo 604, it's at $350 at accessories4less.com, and the pioneer 1015, any recommandations?

There are also XR57's that come in black. This would be your best bet for hdmi audio on the cheap.

The 1015tx will not pass through HDMI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.