AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Receiver............................hdmi..version....MSRP... ............LipSync***....Video+

Denon AVR-2806.................2.......1.1.......shipping in Sept.

Denon AVR-2807.................2.......1.1......$1,099................ ......?...............C

Denon AVR-3806.................2.......1.1.......$1,299............... ......S...............C

Denon AVR-4306.................3.......1.1.......$1,999............... ......S...............SC

Denon AVR-4806.................3.......1.1.......$3,500............... .....S...............CT

Denon AVR-5805.................3.......?.........$6,000............... ......S...............US

Integra DTR-10.5................2*.....?.........$3,800 to $4950..........S...............T

Integra Research RDC 7.1.....2*.....1.0......$4,000 to $5000

H/K AVR 440......................2.......1.1.......

H/K AVR 640......................2.......1.1.......$1,499

H/K AVR 740......................2.......1.1.......$3,499........... .........?................CS

JVC RX-D401B....................2.......?

JVC RX-D401S....................2.......?

JVC RX-D701B....................2.......?

JVC RX-D701S/702B.............2.......1.1........$880.................... ..?................S

Marantz SR9600..................2.......?..........$4,200

Onkyo TX-SR803.................2.......1.1........$1000.............. ....?................N

Onkyo TX-NR1000...............3*......?..........$5,000

Panasonic SA-XR70S............1.......1.1**.......$500

Philips DFR 9000.................2.......?...........~$975.............. ......S............CS

Pioneer/Elite VSX-72TXV.......2.......1.1........$1,200....................?.. ..........C

Pioneer/Elite VSX-74TXV.......2.......1.1........$1,500....................S.. ..........C

Samsung AV-R3000.............4.......?..........$5,000................. ....?............ST

Sony STR-DA7100ES............2.......?..........$2,000............... ......?.............CS

Yamaha HTR-5990...............2.......?.........$1,000................. ....Y.............C

Yamaha RX-V1600...............2.......1.1.......$1,100................ .....?.............S

Yamaha RX-V2600...............2.......1.1.......$1,400................ .....G............S

Yamaha RX-V4600...............2.......1.1.......$1,900................ .....?.............N

*No audio via hdmi.

**Input is 1.1, output is 1.0.

***Delay for lip sync: S - Separate for each input, G - Global-one setting for all inputs, N - no, Y - yes, but not sure if it is global or per input

+ C - Converts analog video to hdmi output; U - Upgrade due to convert analog to hdmi; N - no conversion to hdmi; S - Scaling; T - Transcoding

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, that got posted before I was ready. Since it is here, can someone help me on setting up a table, I can't find a tab code.

I want to start a thread on hdmi enabled receivers.

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
While sorting the models with HDMI..

Be sure to note the differences between HDMI switching as well as HDMI processing capabilties for audio or both audio and video..

·
Registered
350 Posts
Don't forget the Integra Research RDC 7.1 ( link $4000-$5000 MSRP depending on options) and the Integra DTR-10.5 ( link , $3800-$4950 MSRP depending on options).

Both have 2 HDMI inputs, 1 output, both process video, no audio through HDMI.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
You better check the SA-XR70S again. Because I think it only has 1 HDMI input, and not 2 like you have it listed at.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton Bale /forum/post/0

Don't forget the Integra Research RDC 7.1 ( link $4000-$5000 MSRP depending on options) and the Integra DTR-10.5 ( link , $3800-$4950 MSRP depending on options).

Both have 2 HDMI inputs, 1 output, both process video, no audio through HDMI.

I didn't include them because they don't process the audio. Seemed kinda pointless to me.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Ballard /forum/post/0

I pulled the inputs from here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_SA...6.html?tag=tab

If you are certain that it is one input, I will change it. Thanks.

Nowhere in that link you posted, do they say it has 2 HDMI inputs. It only says it has 2 HDMI connectors on the back.

If you would have also read the review they did in it, you would have seen this on page 3 of the review.

"If you have two HDMI sources, however, the XR70S may be a disappointment: since it has only one HDMI input, it cannot switch between two HDMI devices connected to one display. The main practical function of the XR70S's HDMI connection is to ease cable clutter by eliminating the need for a separate digital-audio connection between the receiver and the source. It would have been nice for the unit to feature a second HDMI input"

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_SA...4.html?tag=top

·
Registered
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Ballard /forum/post/0

I didn't include them because they don't process the audio. Seemed kinda pointless to me.

The Onkyo doesn't either and it's in your list. Not sure why it is pointless, most of the source devices I've looked at do not output audio over HDMI anyway. HDMI is great for digital video; there are many existing transports (coax, optical, firewire) for digital audio. Plus, these are card-based receivers, so a new card could add HDMI audio functionality. Thought you were coming up with an exhaustive list, guess I misunderstood.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla /forum/post/0

Nowhere in that link you posted, do they say it has 2 HDMI inputs. It only says it has 2 HDMI connectors on the back.

If you would have also read the review they did in it, you would have seen this on page 3 of the review.

"If you have two HDMI sources, however, the XR70S may be a disappointment: since it has only one HDMI input, it cannot switch between two HDMI devices connected to one display. The main practical function of the XR70S's HDMI connection is to ease cable clutter by eliminating the need for a separate digital-audio connection between the receiver and the source. It would have been nice for the unit to feature a second HDMI input"

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_SA...4.html?tag=top

My bad, I'll fix.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton Bale /forum/post/0

The Onkyo doesn't either and it's in your list. Not sure why it is pointless, most of the source devices I've looked at do not output audio over HDMI anyway. HDMI is great for digital video; there are many existing transports (coax, optical, firewire) for digital audio. Plus, these are card-based receivers, so a new card could add HDMI audio functionality. Thought you were coming up with an exhaustive list, guess I misunderstood.

Okay. I'm learning the audio side of things, so I can use all the help I can get. Personally, I like the one cable solution, so these other's aren't of interest to me. I didn't realize that the Onkyo doesn't process the video.

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
You should add the 2 new Pioneer/Elite AVRs the VSX-72TXV ($1200) and the VSX-74TXV ($1500). Both have (2) HDMI IN and (1) HDMI OUT and are 1.1 HDMI Compliant, also they do video conversion to HDMI.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/0

You should add the 2 new Pioneer/Elite AVRs the VSX-72TXV ($1200) and the VSX-74TXV ($1500). Both have (2) HDMI IN and (1) HDMI OUT and are 1.1 HDMI Compliant, also they do video conversion to HDMI.

Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Great table, thanks for putting this together.

About the pioneers, the video upconversion is a GREAT feature. Can't wait for these to hit the streets.

--nw

·
Registered
78 Posts
A word of caution seems to be in order here:

Some of the new receivers and processors equipped with HDMI will take incoming analog video and output them through the HDMI outputs. Great feature, but that is ALL they are doing -- taking the video and converting it from analog to digital. That is NOT "upconversion".

A smaller percentage of those units will be able to do the above, but also process any incoming HDMI streams to "extract" the audio. Better.

A MUCH smaller percentage of those units will do all of the above PLUS process incoming video so that it is upscaled to 720 or 1080 AND enable graphics to be seen REGARDLESS of the incoming signal's format. THAT is "upconversion", and few, if any products come to ming that do that today. That i s"best".

Having any one or the other (or not) doesn't mean a unit is intrindically good or bad, it simply means that the manfuacturer is reacting to market requirements within their cost constraints. However, the phrase "upconversion" seems to get thrown around a bit too much and often (though well meaningfully) gets applied to units that simpyl DO NOT do upscaling.

·
Registered
684 Posts

• Upconversion: converting from one signal type to a "higher" one.

Examples: composite->s-video, composite->component, s-video->component.

The signal's "content" is not changed, ie. composite and s-video remain as 480i, even when upconverted to component..

It is debatable whether analog to HDMI should be called upconversion, because it is really transcoding.

• Transcoding: converting the signal's encoding.

In the case of analog (composite, s-video, component) to HDMI, the analog signal is converted to a digital one. The digital signal retains the same resolution as the input signal, ie. composite, s-video remain 480i, component remains as the original of 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i.

• Upscaling: resampling the signal to a higher resolution. Upscaling lives alongside upconversion and transcoding, since upscaling often also upconverts or transcodes the signal.

This is case where an input signal is converted to a higher resolution signal, and possibly also changed to a different scan type (progressive or interlaced).

Examples: if a device outputs only 1080i (or 720p) signals. All input signals (480i, 480p, 720p) are scaled to the output format.

Occasionally, you may find a device that downconverts (ie. component 480i->svideo) or downscales (ie. 1080i->480p).

·
Registered
78 Posts
No argument, though in your first example I'd qibble that it should be "cross-conversion", not "Up"conversion, as you aren't really "upping" anything, rather changing the existing form.

Transcoding also works with accuracy, I guess it's a matter of taste as to whether you prefer "cross-conversion" or "transcoding". I'd avoid "Upconversion" as it implies that the scan rate has been changed.

But that's only my $0.02. YMMV

·
Registered
12,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmilar /forum/post/0
  • Upconversion: converting from one signal type to a "higher" one.

Examples: composite->s-video, composite->component, s-video->component.

The signal's "content" is not changed, ie. composite and s-video remain as 480i, even when upconverted to component..

It is debatable whether analog to HDMI should be called upconversion, because it is really transcoding.

• Transcoding: converting the signal's encoding.

In the case of analog (composite, s-video, component) to HDMI, the analog signal is converted to a digital one. The digital signal retains the same resolution as the input signal, ie. composite, s-video remain 480i, component remains as the original of 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i.

• Upscaling: resampling the signal to a higher resolution. Upscaling lives alongside upconversion and transcoding, since upscaling often also upconverts or transcodes the signal.

This is case where an input signal is converted to a higher resolution signal, and possibly also changed to a different scan type (progressive or interlaced).

Examples: if a device outputs only 1080i (or 720p) signals. All input signals (480i, 480p, 720p) are scaled to the output format.

Occasionally, you may find a device that downconverts (ie. component 480i->svideo) or downscales (ie. 1080i->480p).

Some call it cross-conversion...

Others call it upconversion..

And some even call it transcoding..

In the majority of cases, it is simply taking one format as an input and outputting another format for ease of a single connection to the display.... Such as S-Video IN and Component video OUT..

However there are some additional cases..

Where the input signal will remain in its native format but some video processing such as NR or edge enhancement is done.. While the output format is in the same as the input..

Additionally, certain AVRs have the capability of digitizing the input format and then scaling/enhancing it to a higher level for output.. Such as an Component Video IN (480i) and then output as a 720p

To do the more intense video processing requires a heavy duty video DSP (with significant resources) such as a PixelWorks, Silicon Optix or Faroujda.. And found only in the higher end AVRs or Processors..

1 - 20 of 196 Posts