AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to record from my Roku 3. I am looking at using the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 (1512) and the ViewHD 2 Port 1x2 Powered HDMI Mini Splitter from Amazon to deal with Roku's HDCP issue. Will this work?

Jim

·
Registered
693 Posts
I want to record from my Roku 3. I am looking at using the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 (1512) and the ViewHD 2 Port 1x2 Powered HDMI Mini Splitter from Amazon to deal with Roku's HDCP issue. Will this work?

Jim
Why don't you just get something designed to work with the Roku like a dual or quad tuner Tablo?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why don't you just get something designed to work with the Roku like a dual or quad tuner Tablo?
I didn't even know what a Tablo was. I just Googled it. I went ahead and ordered the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 and the HDMI splitter mentioned in my previous post. I can confirm that these two devices together do work to record from the Roku 3. Is there a way to get closed captioning that one can turn on or off on the video captures? I've only been able to get CCs that are a permanent part of the video capture, unfortunately.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Oh, you are trying to record FROM the Roku. I thought you were trying to make a DVR. You may have issues with DRM. I seriously doubt that is going to work on a lot of content.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I am 99% sure you are screwed. HDMI is designed to prevent exactly what you are trying to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I am 99% sure you are screwed. HDMI is designed to prevent exactly what you are trying to do.
I'm not screwed at all. Read this portion of my previous post below.

I can confirm that these two devices together do work to record from the Roku 3.
Without an HDMI splitter, yes, I would be screwed, but since I have the ViewHD HDMI 1 x 2 splitter, this removes HDCP. Again, back to my original question, is there a way to get closed captioning that one can turn on or off on the video captures (captured from Hulu Plus)? I've only been able to get CCs that are a permanent part of the video capture, unfortunately. That's because I have to turn on CCs on the Roku 3's Hulu Plus channel, and then the HD PVR 2 simply records everything it sees, including the CCs, and they become permanent as a result. I guess a way around this would be to record the same program with the CCs turned off, but I don't want to have a CCed version of a program and a non-CCed version. I want just one, with the option to toggle on/off. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts