AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a rather expensive 50ft. HDMI cable from BetterCables for use with my projector about 2 years ago. It has worked fine until recently. Recently I notice it seems to have some kind of short in it. I have it connected to an HDMI 5 port switch and I occassionally lose the signal. If I mess with the cable, I get the signal back. I tried direct connecting the cable to my DVD player to be sure it was the cable going to the projector and it is. Direct connected I lose the signal and then if I bend the cable around a little I get the signal back. Any way to put a new connector on an HDMI cable to save buying another $300+ cable and have to tear up my ceiling to re-run it?

thanks,

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie /forum/post/0

I can't help you with cable repair or with fishing new cable through a ceiling, but maybe I can help you with spending $300+ for another cable. Have you tired monoprice.com for cables? They get good reviews from users on this site.

Yes, monoprice is great. I buy a lot of stuff from them. A cable from them is about $100 instead of $300, but in cables of this length (50ft), I am not sure I want to go with a less expensive cheaper made cable.

Just as an FYI, another place to get good inexpensive cables is www.firefold.com

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afphinfan /forum/post/0

I would try somewhere other than a Radio Shack (unless yours are different than ours) as they seem to have gone from experienced technical personnel to the warm body theory. I would try an electronics/tv repair shop.

I decided to contact BetterCables where I had purchased the cable from to ask them if there is a way to repair the cable. I quickly received an email stating a new cable was on the way to my house with a pre-paid return postage for the old cable. I didn't expect that at all. I am very pleased with BetterCables and the customer service is fantastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmmm, just had exactly the same experience.

I Bought the cable in October 2005, and in the last 6 months or so I've started losing the connection. I assumed it was a dodgy connection in the DVD player, but connecting it to my Onkyo resulted in the same problem.

As you were, I was seriously annoyed having spent a large amount of money on a duff cable. But in fairness to my local distributor, they are replacing at no cost to me.

It sounds like a design fault they are aware of - but if they treat customers this well, it'll do them no harm, and probably a lot of good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.