AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow AV fanatics.

I recently bought an Sony STR-DN1050 AV Receiver. It`s working well and I`m enjoying it.
But there is one annoying problem I can`t fix.

Each time I turn on/off the lights the HDMI signal is lost for a second on my video out devices. (I tried several). If I turn on/off the lights very slowly then it mostly keeps on. It looks like the receiver notices that there is a large change in voltage when it`s suddenly turned on or off?
Even if I place the receiver directly on the wall socket without a splitter for other devices it still occures. It`s quite annoying when I want to turn the lights on or off.
Is there someone who also had this before and solved this?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Seems like the lights and AVR are on the same circuit and a power fluctuation is causing a problem. As a test, try running a long extension cord from another room (and another circuit) and plug in the AVR. Cycle the lights a few times and see if the problem reoccurs. If it works fine, it would point to a problem with the original circuit, overloaded perhaps? A solution would be to find another circuit to plug AVR into. If the problem still exists with the AVR on the extension cord, call an electrician.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
How long are the HDMI cables and do they run across the power wiring? What kind of lights do you have?

The angle I'm looking at is the sudden turn on causing interference that drops the HDMI link (or more correctly, interrupting HDCP which causes a link reset).

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Are the lights on a dimmer? If so we have found some dimmers put out a lot of noise through the electrical line an can disrupt HDMI's signal. Changing the light to a different circuit or even a different phase will not help. The solution is to get a different dimmer, we have also ran into this problem with some dimmers on fans as well. You can also use a very good noise filtration units and all the equipment needs to be run through it. The EMI/RF filters in most inexpensive surge protectors typically don't work for this type of noise. You need one with greater filtration at higher bandwidths to work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried another powersource from a different network. Still the problem remained. Each time I turn the light on/off I hear a small pop out of the speakers and there is no HDMI signal for 1 second.

But I found half of the solution (almost)! The HDMI cable from beamer to the receiver was coming down the wall next to it`s power cable. Above the beamer there are led lights.
When I move the HDMI cable a bit further from the beamer power cable the HDMI signal remains steady when turning on the light! That supprised me. Strangly enough the problem also remains when the beamer and AV receiver are connected to 2 differend powersources from a different network. (when power/HDMI) cable are next to each other.

The only thing that now remains is a small pop out of the speakers when turning on the light but I can live with that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
move the line-then get one or two of these little guys, that actually work. A/C Power will leak radiation. A good test is a non contact power detector, that will detect it in close proximity to a device.
The HDMI is way to close to the A/C line. I would put the chokes on both ends of the HDMI and move it as far as possible.
PS the link is just an example- check for a better made choke.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Basically you're seeing interference. Led lights generally are a good source of it depending on the power supply, and the interference is coupled to the HDMI cable due to proximity.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Video Signal Drop-outs

Hi there Guys, I hope you don't mind. I am reviving this old thread because I have an annoying HDMI interference problem that I am struggling to resolve. I have an AV receiver connected to 2 sources, a blu ray player and a cable/sat box (DSTV). The AV receiver outputs video to a ceiling mounted projector via a 49 ft HDMI cable. Here is the problem I am having:-

1. When watching content from the cab/sat box (DSTV), the video signal to the projector keeps dropping after about 5 minutes and then reconnects after a few seconds as the projector starts searching for sources and locks-on again.

2. When watching content from the blu ray player the signal gets dropped every 20 minutes or so.

3. The sound remains intact, it is the video signal that has the problem.

4. The I discovered something new: Apart from the random loss of video signal every few minutes, I found that whenever I switched-on the lights (LED) in the room, I would the video signal.

What I did in an attempt to resolve the problem:-

1. Initially, I associated the issue with signal loss due to HDMI cable length (HDMI/HDCP handshake). I replaced my cable with HDBaseT over single CAT6 but the problem persists.

2. Concerning the lights, I assumed that the lights draw current when switched on and figured that it may be effecting the equipment momentarily in terms of unstable voltage/current. Hence, I connected all the equipment including the projector to a TripLite UPS that not only provides back up power during mains power failure but stabilises the power and removes line-noise. The problem still persists, in other words: the random video drop-outs and drop-outs when I switch-on the lights still remains.

3. Currently, I am using a 49ft CAT6 patch cord cable. I am of the opinion that the patch cord cable is being subjected to RFI by the LED lights or some sort of EMI although I have tried my best to keep the CAT6 cable away from power lines and it passes through it's own 1.5" PVC conduit.

4. The last test I conducted was that I moved the AV Reciver and the blu ray player on a tall stool right below the projector. Connected the AV Receiver to the projector using a 2m HDMI cable. Ran a movie via the blu ray player and did not experience any breaks in the video signal for up to 50 minutes. I hit the lights several times and it did not effect the video signal. I realise that the 49ft feet cable (HDMI or CAT6) could be behaving like an antenna.

5. Unfortunately, I am unable to move the DSTV box close to the projector because the coax cables that connect to the box are not long enough. I will call a DSTV engineer tomorrow to assist me with this test so that I can get a better understanding of the problem. The DSTV is the worst at video signal loss and apart from the RFI/EMI issue, it could also be an HDCP issue too. The AV receiver (Marantz SR-5010) is HDCP 2.2 compliant.

6. I upgraded the firmware of the AV Receiver but no change in terms of the problem being resolved except I feel that video signal reconnection is obtained slightly faster than before once it is lost.

7. Just as a quick additional test. I connected the blu ray player directly to the projector via the HDBaseT and 49ft CAT6 cable. The video signal loss was less frequent but it did get effected (Video signal loss) when the lights were switched-on.

At this point, I am not sure if a well shielded CAT6 cable will make a difference.

Any help from fellow members will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Get a shielded cable with a ground wire loop.
Thanks Darren, I'm sure I can get shielded CAT6 cable but how do I incorporate grounding ? The HDBaseT system I am using has a Tx (transmitter) and Rx (receiver) units which are powered individually for the system to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been having this problem for some months - HDMI signal dropping out when LED lights are switched on and off. In the end it turned out to be the ferrite beads or chokes at the ends of the HDMI cable causing the problem. I replaced the cable with one without the chokes and it's fine.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have been having this problem for some months - HDMI signal dropping out when LED lights are switched on and off. In the end it turned out to be the ferrite beads or chokes at the ends of the HDMI cable causing the problem. I replaced the cable with one without the chokes and it's fine.
Hi Melliff, that is very useful to know - I'm trying to figure out what you mean when you say "ferrite beads or chokes", could you kindly take a picture and post it here for us to see.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i had this problem when ever i switch on my fluorescent light,AC &use fan regulator my projector will search for signal i tried everything but atlast i chanched my hdmi cable to hdmi with ethernet that fixed my problem today i will update on this issue if problem arises again so far good

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
i had this problem when ever i switch on my fluorescent light,AC &use fan regulator my projector will search for signal i tried everything but atlast i chanched my hdmi cable to hdmi with ethernet that fixed my problem today i will update on this issue if problem arises again so far good
Do you mean you are using HDMI over ethernet ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Melliff, that is very useful to know - I'm trying to figure out what you mean when you say "ferrite beads or chokes", could you kindly take a picture and post it here for us to see.
Sorry for the delayed response. Photograph of HDMI with chokes at ends of the cable attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello fellow AV fanatics.

I recently bought an Sony STR-DN1050 AV Receiver. It`s working well and I`m enjoying it.
But there is one annoying problem I can`t fix.

Each time I turn on/off the lights the HDMI signal is lost for a second on my video out devices. (I tried several). If I turn on/off the lights very slowly then it mostly keeps on. It looks like the receiver notices that there is a large change in voltage when it`s suddenly turned on or off?
Even if I place the receiver directly on the wall socket without a splitter for other devices it still occures. It`s quite annoying when I want to turn the lights on or off.
Is there someone who also had this before and solved this?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts