AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the difference between the HDMI 1.2 and 1.3 specs is that 1.3 added, amongst others, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. Does this mean that a switch or splitter with 1.2 spec doesn't pass these signals or that it's just not tested to comply with the needed specs? I know that for cables you can use any spec cable but does the same go for switches and splitters? I have a 3x2 switch/splitter with 1.2 spec and I was wondering if I can continue to use this when I buy a receiver which supports those audio formats.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The different HDMI versions mainly affect frequency response requirements for cable and switches. The rating for cable and switches thus pertains to whether they have been tested to that frequency. So even though your switch/splitter is rated to 1.2 it will likely work for 1.3. Certainly if it won't work it will be readily apparent.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oki doki, thanks for the reply. I was expecting it to work like that but I wasn't sure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just a note: 1.4 will be somewhat of a different matter, because it includes new features which will affect cables and switches. The audio return channel and ethernet features will probably work on existing cable at short lengths, but will not work on switches, as a general rule, unless those switches have been designed for them, and will not work on existing cable at longer lengths. There are, however, no 1.4 products yet on the market (yes, I know some people say they have 'em, but the compliance testing spec hasn't even been published yet so there truly are NO 1.4 compliant products).

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

1 - 4 of 4 Posts