AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on an installation where I need to take HDMI from a PC and split it to 6 monitors ranging from 10' to 100' away. I know there are a lot of solutions on the market, and see many of them listed on this thread, but it's not clear to me what's currently working the best. Most of the content will be PC-generated graphics so I'm not too worried about HDCP, but there may be an occasional DVD played on the source PC, and I assume this will have HDCP implications. Otherwise, I think HD-SDI would be the my solution of choice.

I know that there are products and systems from Monoprice for $300 up to Kramer, etc. for $4000+. I'm looking for the most cost effective reliable option that has been used for this type of application.

Thanks.
- Dave

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would get a 1x8 DA from Atlona or Kramer due to their quality, warranty and tech support. On the runs longer than 50' I would use their transmitter and receiver. Both of their DA's are HDCP compliant.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - that's along the lines of what I was thinking.

I've got two 100' runs and one 75' run. Do you think it's more cost-effective and reliable to split the HDMI and use TX/RX pairs for each display? Or am I better off with their HDBT splitter and buying RX's for all of the displays?
- Dave

·
Registered
81 Posts
The problem is that there really isn't a 1x8 HDBaseT splitter and if there was it would be a more expensive solution. I would stick with Atlona or Kramer and then just use an RX/TX for the 3 longs runs.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
What is the application?

What Display devices do you have are you planning?

HDBT is great (where required) but not that cost effective if you don't require it in a Commercial environment.

HD over LAN is far more cost effective for many Digital Signage applications.

Joe

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Application is video distribution within a church. They will be showing a combination of PC-generated content and a live camera. The displays are projectors and LCD TVs, still to be purchased as part of the project.

They may play commercial DVDs at some point, so I can't discount that possibility. I think this is the issue that makes it difficult to use something other than HDBT.
- Dave

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
HDBT is covered within HD over LAN solutions just as it is covered by HDBT.

One option with HDBT is to spec Display devices which include an HDBT Receiver - though even then once you get up to more than one or two Display devices HDBT becomes relatively 'expensive'.

The thing to look out for with HD over LAN is latency - there is a slight delay between the Source and the Display and this will vary with cable run lengths, it is not usually a problem with visuals but can be a problem if you are trying to use TV speakers and folk are within earshot of multiple Displays.

HD over LAN is a very costs effective and less hassle solution for the type of application you describe - it is also much easier to expand upon at a future date.

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts