AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this used to work until i just updated the console the other day.

I have the PS3 signal splitting via a monoprice 1x4 Pro splitter, to a benq fp241W via dvi and a yamaha rx-v663.

The problem is, now the playstaiton reads the edid of the dvi port of the benq and determines that sound will not work with this monitor and therefore it will not output hdmi audio. Even though there is also a yamaha hooked up.

Currently my solution is to unplug and power trip lots of devices, but this used to just work, where the ps3 could forcefully transmit audio. Now it doesn't.

Is there any way I can restore this manual transmission of hdmi audio? And yes, I tried the manual option in the ps3 audio settings.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, why is the splitter in there?

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line /forum/post/18283481

Ok, this used to work until i just updated the console the other day.

I have the PS3 signal splitting via a monoprice 1x4 Pro splitter, to a benq fp241W via dvi and a yamaha rx-v663.

The problem is, now the playstaiton reads the edid of the dvi port of the benq and determines that sound will not work with this monitor and therefore it will not output hdmi audio. Even though there is also a yamaha hooked up.

Currently my solution is to unplug and power trip lots of devices, but this used to just work, where the ps3 could forcefully transmit audio. Now it doesn't.

Is there any way I can restore this manual transmission of hdmi audio? And yes, I tried the manual option in the ps3 audio settings.

The traditional connection scheme would be to connect the PS3 to the yamaha rx-v663 input and then the 663's output to the benq. Then there would be no need for the splitter. The Yamaha would report the audio formats that it supports and pass through the EDID for the video formats that the benq supports. Frankly I'm surprised that the splitter worked before, much less now. The only thing I can think of that might work, is to swap connections between the benq and Yamaha. Perhaps the splitter favors the EDID of one output over the other? I would have guessed that the splitter forces the lowest common denominator, which is a video format that both the benq and Yamaha support, but no audio. Then again, you said it did work before.

P.J.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valence01 /forum/post/18284824

The traditional connection scheme would be to connect the PS3 to the yamaha rx-v663 input and then the 663's output to the benq. Then there would be no need for the splitter. The Yamaha would report the audio formats that it supports and pass through the EDID for the video formats that the benq supports.

Exactly the reason for my question! Well said.

·
Registered
282 Posts
This was taken from a review on Monoprice's website of your pro 1x4 splitter:

One issue that you should keep in mind though. This is not necessarily an issue with the splitter, but more likely with how HDCP works. I am sending the ouput from my ExpressVu satellite feed via HDMI to 3 TVs in my house. I am feeding 3 TVs a Panasonic front projector, Sony LCD panel, and Samsung LCD panel. You have to be careful to connect the TVs that support audio first since the HDCP will handshake in sequence from port 1 to 4 and if it does not find audio support on TV in port 1, it will not send audio to other TVs. I had my front projector in port 1, which does not support audio of course, so it was not sending audio to other TVs which do support audio. Switching the order by plugging the projector into the last port has permanently solved this problem. This is mentioned in the troubleshooting section of the manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts