AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My setup:

PC nVidia GPU ----> AVR ----> display.
My goal is to split the AVR output to HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 ports on the display.
This has nothing to do with gaming or streaming. Strictly for movie file playback using Kodi, MPC-HC/BE, madVr, etc. on HDMI 1 and Windows desktop on HDMI 2.

1 in 2 out (1x2) splitter.
I'd prefer it to simply passthrough untouched if there is such a thing?

I would need this splitter to accommodate:
HDMI 2.0b min.
4k UHD @60Hz
All high bitrate audio including Atmos, DTS:X, DTS:HD-MA etc.
RGB 4:4:4 8-bit (prefer 12-bit but it's not a deal breaker)
HDR 10 min.

I don't think I care how it is powered or if it even needs power?
My cable lengths are under 6'.
I don't think a remote control is necessary?
I don't use ARC.
I don't use Dolby Vision.
I don't think it needs to scale or anything since it will be split to the same display (same resolution, just a different port) and madVr handles scaling?
Budget under $30-$50 if possible.

I don't know anything about these splitters other than I've read problems others have had with them and I'm trying to avoid my own problems by obtaining one others recommend based on similar circumstances. Thank you for any suggestions you might provide me.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Why would you need to split the outputs if they're going to the same display? You can just feed the output from your AVR directly to the display regardless of what you're using the PC for at the time. You can configure the audio in whatever playback app you're using for passthrough audio to the AVR. Using a splitter in the manner in which you have described does absolutely nothing for you.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would you need to split the outputs if they're going to the same display? You can just feed the output from your AVR directly to the display regardless of what you're using the PC for at the time. You can configure the audio in whatever playback app you're using for passthrough audio to the AVR. Using a splitter in the manner in which you have described does absolutely nothing for you.
Well, since you asked:

My Denon AVR only has one output. If had another, I'd be able to use it but I don't. So I need a splitter.

As I stated, I'm splitting to the same display - HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. The ports are independent of each other and have their own memory. This means I can use different display settings between ports. As stated, I intend to use special display settings for HDMI 1 and different special display settings for HDMI 2.

I'm already feeding the single output from the AVR directly to the display regardless of what I'm using the PC for. I have no choice. I want a choice. I'm also already configuring audio per app using their passthrough capabilities so I've no idea what you're trying to enlighten me about other than conveying splitting my single output for different input settings on HDMI ports is meaningless. It isn't meaningless. It's going to allow me 2 different settings via 2 different independent ports.

Furthermore, I have a very nice Harmony remote with 'activities'. When I want to 'watch a movie', I simply press one button for that activity. Part of the macro sequence is automatically selecting the display HDMI port I desire with that movie watching activity. I have another activity 'use PC'. Part of that activity macro is also to select which display HDMI port I desire to associate with that activity. As it stands, those two activities share the same macro selection to both use the same HDMI port. I don't want to share it. I want them to be independent.

My old retired AVR had two outputs. It was very simple to select the output I desired in a macro and associate each of them how I desired. Now that I only have one to work with, I need two. A splitter is going to replace the dual output I lost. That old AVR output and my present AVR output passthrough anything the HDMI cable carries. No worries there. But, a splitter does not behave so nicely. They appear to need many special properties or they become a bottleneck and do more harm than good. This is evident in user complaints all over the place about this or that and come to find out... it wasn't this or that... it was their splitter limiting what they could not do and this or that was functioning just fine. It's also evident looking at specs of 100's of them what they can and cannot do. I'm simply overwhelmed by the choices and whether to even believe half of them.

So, I'm seeking help here thinking there has got to be other users using splitters to access different ports on the same display. If not, oh well. If so, maybe I can get some valuable feedback.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
OK, you didn't mention anything about wanting to use different settings on each input. There are inexpensive splitters on ebay or from Monoprice.com. Just find one that has the proper specs for HDMI and HDCP and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I didn't think why I want to split to ports was pertinent to anything.

Yes, I've been looking at eBay, monoprice, craigslist, Amazon, NewEgg, Fys, etc., etc. Each has dozens to offer bringing the list up to around a 100 choices so far. I've been down rabbit holes like this before. This could be months of trial and error of purchase/returns or.... perhaps someone that has some actual experience will notice this post and help me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts