AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a pair of HDMI Splitters (1x2) wanting to split a HDMI signal originating from a 1081dpi converter connected to a digital satellite receiver. I want to send the signal to a pair of LCD TV's. Sounded quite simple but for the following problem. If I hook up one TV to the splitter. . NO PROBLEM. When I connect the second TV, there is no audio on the first TV and the second unit comes on with "retrieving data" and then "Not Supported". If I connect the second unit first (or reverse the procedure) the same thing happens in reverse. Also the video will black out and then back on, alternating between the units. In any case the application should work since I have done this same configuration connected to another pair of LCD units. What can the problem be?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Its best practice to not ‘hot plug’ HDMI – only connect/disconnect devices when all devices are powered Off at the wall.

Alternating Image/no-image indicates you are having HDCP authentication problems!

Do both of your Display devices work with the Source if connected directly to the Source? (again best to not hot plug!).

Joe

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe6620  /t/1472183/hdmi-splitter-troubles#post_23300572

I purchased a pair of HDMI Splitters (1x2) wanting to split a HDMI signal originating from a 1081dpi converter connected to a digital satellite receiver. I want to send the signal to a pair of LCD TV's. Sounded quite simple but for the following problem. If I hook up one TV to the splitter. . NO PROBLEM. When I connect the second TV, there is no audio on the first TV and the second unit comes on with "retrieving data" and then "Not Supported". If I connect the second unit first (or reverse the procedure) the same thing happens in reverse. Also the video will black out and then back on, alternating between the units. In any case the application should work since I have done this same configuration connected to another pair of LCD units. What can the problem be?

To me this sounds like an EDID problem. Do both of your LCDs have the same audio and video specs? In other words does one TV accept 5.1-channel audio and the other only accept stereo?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both TV are Vizio 32" LCD units that are only 1 year old so both have similar capability for input. Both will work directly with the HDMI Splitter if connected as a single device. Like I said before, I have the same identical hookup except that the TV's are not similar in size but both have HDMI inputs.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
What is the make and model of all of the gear you are connecting?

The sources sound like they may be having an issue with HDCP as it relates to the Vizio product.

Is there a reason you can't come directly out of your Sat receiver to the splitter?

There is nothing obvious that you are doing incorrectly, but the splitter may just not play well with Vizio, which is the reality of the stupidity of HDCP and HDMI. You may need to go to another model for no obvious reason at all.

Do you have another HDMI source you can try to use like a Blu-ray player or a computer?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Working Configuration; Digital Sat. Rx HDMI output to SunValleyTek HDMI Splitter to Vizio 46" LCD & Phillips 19" LCD.

Non-Working Configuration: Digital Sat Rx (same brand as above) HDMI output to SunValleyTek HDMI Splitter to Vizio 32" & Vizio 32"

Your suggestion about changing TV's was followed when I substituted on Vizio 32" with the Phillips 19" in the non-working configuration which didn't change the results.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Both Vizio TVs will work independently using HDMI-1 inputs from the digital receiver but when the MONOPRICE splitter is inserted only one will work the other will say "not supported" Can I use a HDMI switch for this problem?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excuse the question regarding a switch for this issue. I understand a switch will not work for my purpose. So I am back to square one. What to do to make this situation work . . . if anything short of changing TVs. Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Monoprice has several splitters, some of which work better than others. If the splitter you have from them is not working, then call them up, send it back, and try a different splitter.

Did you try using a different source? Like a PC or a DVD or Blu-ray Disc player? You don't need to try other TVs, but you need to try different sources as there is a chance (albeit a small one) that the Satellite receiver itself is the issue.

I'm a bit confused as to whether you are providing brand information on things or what... What is sunvalleytech? What is a Digital Sat. Rx? Are these brand names of the products you are using? With Vizio, it is clearly ONE of their models of 32" TVs... but which model? Really, manufacturer name and model number of the exact product may help to identify issues. ie: Monoprice model 8204 is very specific, and pretty well reviewed. Provide a link to the products in use if possible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, Lets try this:

Configuration 1 (Working) Sonicview FTA Sat. Rx HDMI output to SunValleyTek 3 RCA Composite S-video R/L Audio HDMI Convertor to Monoprice Model 2522 Splitter to

Vizio Model 420VL & Phillips Model 19PFL54220.

Configuration 2 (Trouble) Sonicview FTA Sat. Rx HDMI output to SunValleyTek 3 RCA Composite S-video R/L Audio HDMI Convertor to Monoprice Model 2522 Splitter to

Vizio Model E320i-AO & Vizio Model 321VL.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Quote from the monoprice site.... "Note that this splitter does not pass the HDCP copy protection information, so it is unsuited for use in home theater systems. Please use one of our powered splitters for home theater applications. " I think this is basically your issue, it doesn't handle HDCP interactions, which you appear to have "tripped" on.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
What happens when you pull that Sunvalley piece out of the equation?

Your products are these right...

SunValleyTek: http://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-video-Audio-HDMI-Converter/dp/B003NS0UUQ

Monoprice splitter: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011303&p_id=2522&seq=1&format=2

I don't understand your need for that SunValley piece at all. If you are coming out of your satellite receiver HDMI, then I would just go into the splitter and see what happens. Don't use the scaler at all as it shouldn't be doing anything to help your native HDMI signal.

Then, I would still expect the passive HDMI splitter to not work, but at least you will have eliminated another piece in the chain.

If it still doesn't work, start with a powered splitter, then go from there.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe6620  /t/1472183/hdmi-splitter-troubles#post_23308676

would a powered HDMI splitter solve the problem?
Yes, and I have one in use at this time.

monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=7522&seq=1&format=2

This will get the HDMI signal to your 2 Vizio's and I know that works I do the same thing but with 47 and 65 inch Vizio's

I would also get an HD satellite tuner, assuming you have DirecTV or Dish that should be an easy deal, and the best.

You would not need to be cobbling things together that at best give unsatisfactory results.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TO AV: The use of the SunValleyTek convertor is simple. The signal coming from the Satellite RX is not 1080dpi it is 480dpi, plus I do not have an HDMI output on the Sat. Rx only RCA and Component outputs. I think I will try the power splitter first hoping that solves the problem. Will let you know the results soon.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Is there a reason you aren't just using a component video splitter or a composite video splitter?

I ask because a cheap video converter will not enhance the video quality in the least, and may harm video quality over the scalers which are built into the displays already.

I would generally recommend against any type of digital conversion in a case where the originating signal is standard definition television as you will typically get zero improvement, especially if you start with composite 480i video.

It will eliminate any issue you could have and allows you to use inexpensive analog equipment which can deliver a pristine signal easily.

At this point I am hard pressed to blame any specific device. The splitter is cheap and is an easy source for the issue, but there really shouldn't be any HDCP because the SunValley item will not be implementing HDCP. This may cause an issue because the displays may be looking for some implementation of HDPC which may never be generated, and an active splitter doesn't have any HDCP to actually manage, so it may not solve the issue either.

What may work: Replacing the splitter

What may work: Getting a different/better scaler

What will work, definitely: Using a composite video splitter to the displays directly.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts