AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i'm sure this has been asked in some sort of way but after a bit of searching I haven't found a clear answer...

I am at the point that i'm going to need an HDMI switch... so I was wondering if it would be more benefition for me to get a 4x2 switch/splitter (from monoprice of course) and run a cord from one output to my tv, and the second to my receiver...

of if its just as good to get a normal 4x1 switch and just run the video signal thru my receiver and to the tv (this is my setup now)

i'm using HDMI cables for everything, i'm just wondering if one way could result in a better picture... i'll be connecting an HD cable receiver, HD-DVD, blu ray and an oppo dvd player.

fyi my receiver is the Yamaha RX-V663 if that matters.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Just use a 4x1 switch into the receiver. HDMI is lossless digital and thus, as long as it is working normally, there's no degradation however you run the signal.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The only way it would matter is if your distances get long AND if your receiver is a repeater. Most of the switches are just that: switches. They switch from one input to another passively. Ok fine, all that means is that the total cable run is the length of both cables. So if you have 25' to switch to 30' cable, you find that maybe the run is too long and the signal doesn't go through.

Well some, but not all, receivers have repeaters in them. They actually take the HDMI signal and redo it out their outputs. Means that you don't have to worry about the total length, only the length on each side.

However that long matters for long cable runs, and then only if your receiver has a repeater in it. I don't know about your particular receiver, have to check with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just keep in mind that if you have a TV connected to the HDMI source on the input side, the signal will likely be forced to 2 channel audio. This means that you will not get true multichannel audio to your receiver. You would be better off using a digital coax or toslink to the receiver and the HDMI from source to TV

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afliss /forum/post/17028959

Just keep in mind that if you have a TV connected to the HDMI source on the input side, the signal will likely be forced to 2 channel audio. This means that you will not get true multichannel audio to your receiver. You would be better off using a digital coax or toslink to the receiver and the HDMI from source to TV

Most of the better receivers (but not some of the cheap ones) extract the audio from HDMI, thus if you run the HDMI signal through the receiver you won't need any extra connections for the audio. Also HDMI is the only way to get lossless digital audio from Blu-Ray (of course you can also use the 7.1 analog outputs from the Blu-Ray player).

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow /forum/post/17031022

Most of the better receivers (but not some of the cheap ones) extract the audio from HDMI, thus if you run the HDMI signal through the receiver you won't need any extra connections for the audio. Also HDMI is the only way to get lossless digital audio from Blu-Ray (of course you can also use the 7.1 analog outputs from the Blu-Ray player).

I want to get a HDMI switcher TV only have the one input HDMI and just bought new Blu-ray. Question is will this work for me? will I get the full benefits from my new Blu-ray dvd player?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
This is a great question OP. I too have looked in the forum but didn't get the answer I was looking for. However, someone in here mentioned that HDMI is lossless so If I use a switcher, I am not going to lose any signal. I currently have a Sony STR DG800 that has 2 HDMI in but I have 3 HDMI sources: PS3, Xbox 360, VIP722 DVR. Since, I only have 2 HDMI inputs, I am only able to hook up the game systems while the DVR is using component inputs. I am thinking about getting a switch because the Sony receiver will be replaced by a Marantz receiver that also has 2 inputs.

Let me know if you get it before me and how well it performs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.