AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is HDMI expected to be available? I have heard the new High Definition DirecTIVO will have it and that will be out sometime early next year. My question, will there be HDMI splitters out there or even HDMI switchboxes? I know with DVI they are available but very expensive and not that good as well as hard to find.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
A handful of HDMI source devices and displays have been announced, with more to come. A splitter (in the traditional sense of the word) won't work with DVI/HDCP or HDMI...you're really asking about a distribution amp...and no HDMI distribution amp or switcher has even been announced as far as I know (but they will be). In time, most pre/pros and higher end receivers will likely feature DVI/HDCP and/or HDMI switching...in even more time, most every receiver will. I would expect the evolution of DVI/HDCP and HDMI switching to mimic that of component switching--in time, the feature will find its way into even the most affordable equipment.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I believe the Tivo will use DVI, not HDMI.

·
Banned
761 Posts
There are HDMI to DVI adapters. HDMI is suppose to be backwards compatable with DVI minus the audio and advanced control features...I like the idea of audi/video, but unless a receiver supports HDMI switching, I am going to be running my video to the TV and audio to the receiver...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.