AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several series of posts in these forums about HDMI over Cat5 or 6 wires. Amazingly, I am STILL not clear on what I should do...

I need between 30 and 35 feet. I had always planned on running a straight HDMI cable right from my AVR to the LCD tv (1080p and with the option of 24fps).

After reading through these threads I was about convinced to go to other options such as HDMI over Cat5 and monoprice even has wall plates that use dual-cables (presumably for bandwidth).

However, this more than triples the amount of connection points between my AVR and the TV. Short HDMI cable out to "IN" wall plate. Cat5/6. Wall plate back to short HDMI to TV (not to mention making the RJ45 connections themselves on the ends of the cat cables.

So... I see monoprice sells 1.3a CL2 rated cables up to 25 feet. If I use 30 feet it would JUST reach with no room to make adjustments so I am looking to use 35 feet. They have cables longer than 25' but they are not 1.3a rated...

Finally...there IS a question here... Can I successfully run a SINGLE HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV????? If anyone has done a successful install using an HDMI cable of this length please let me know where you got your cable.

·
Registered
971 Posts
When you describe "running a cable" what do you mean? Are you saying you took some drywall off and you are drilling holes? Or are you saying you have conduit? Or are you saying you drilled a hole in the floor under the TV and one under the AVR and the basement is open?

If you can easily route the HDMI cable from point A to point B then i would say try the premade HDMI cable.

But if you have to pull this HDMI cable thru conduit or try and snake it around a bunch of 2X4's etc then i would say forget it and go with the Cat5/6 Balun solutions.

Another bit of advice is to avoid the wallplates and use "bulk cable" plates to eliminate potential points of failure. http://www.kvmgalore.com/shopping/images/WP-BWP-W_P.jpg

I did a 30' HDMI cable in a theater. The projector has a conduit going into the attic. The theater rack had a conduit going into the attic. I had a pull string routed thru both conduits. Pulling the first HDMI cable seemed to go ok but after a lot of troubleshooting that even included shipping the projector in for a replacement i decided to try a new HDMI cable and this time another installer and I carefully routed it thru each section of conduit and it worked perfectly.

Even though i didn't put a lot of pressure on the first HDMI cable it was enough to damage it. So pretend its made of glass and it should be ok.

If your planning to run this HDMI cable thru a wall then drywall it up then i would say to go ahead and pull 2 cat5 or 6 with it incase the HDMI cable fails. That way you have a backup.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before I began this Living Room/Non-dedicated HT I used a great piece of advise I found on here and ran smurf-tubes for all the speaker wires and used 1 1/2" flexible drain hose for the TV (I used two so I can move the TV later if I want - we couldn't decide where we wanted it when we started).

So this means I have the room to pull through the HDMI cable and Cat5/6 for future changes. I was thinking if I used an HDMI cable I would do as you suggest and use the pass-through wall plates. This means the cable is uninterrupted from the AVR to the TV.

If 35' is not too long I will pull an HDMI cable thru and can pull Cat 5 through as well.

Where did you get your 30' cable?

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts