AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had some recent issues with my HTPC playing music and movies lately.

So my current set up I have my HTPC connected to my receiver which outputs to my tv, speakers and subwoofer. I have my HTPC set to output audio and video through HDMI in stereo (I have the same problem if I set the HDMI device to 5.1 in windows). If I set my HTPC to output audio via the optical out I get static or static and sound only to the left channel depending on what output bit rate is set in windows.

Anyways when paying music and movies no signal goes to the subwoofer. They only way I get a signal to the subwoofer is if I am playing a video with VLC and set the output device to A50 over SPDIF then the subwoofer works fine. If I am playing a file through windows media, itunes or even VLC (other than A50/SPDIF setting selected if they file supports it) and no signal goes to the subwoofer.

I do not think the issue is with the receiver because the subwoofer works fine when using any other device, so I have a feeling it has something to do with the way windows is sending audio to the PC.

I am totally stumpped and I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
It is the configuration on your receiver. PC sends out 2.0 audio only while your other devices may send out 5.1 audio. If your receiver is not configured properly, it will not re-direct LFE to subwoofer. This could be caused by speaker setting (you need set front speakers to small to force receiver re-direct bass to subwoofer). But could also be caused by specific receiver listening mode that forces 2.0 only without re-direct the LFE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts