1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Making it simple.

Devices...

1 x Xbox 360 with Component only (not got a HDMI one).

1 x HTPC with HDMI out.

AMP...

Yamaha RX-1000

- with 3 x Component in and 1 x Component out

- with 3 x HDMI in and 1 x HDMI out

Screens...

1 x Samsung TV with HDMI and Component inputs.

1 x Panasonic PTAE2000 Projector with HDMI and Component inputs.

At the moment I have the Xbox 360 going INTO the AMP and a really crap cheap switch on the amp OUT which allows me to direct the picture to my TV or Projector. This works fine.

I dont have an HDMI switch but I need to do the same thing for my HTPC.

So should i just get a £50 ish switch for 1 HDMI in and 2 HDMI out (which I can find on eBay for example)?

Or if I can I would like to get a switch which can do both Component / HDMI in, and then Component / HDMI out. Or even convert Component to HDMI.

Or can my amp take the Component in and output it on the HDMI? - this would mean I only need a HDMI switch.

Dont really want to spend mega money here

What would you do / suggest?

Thanks all,

D.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlthorpe /forum/post/15499707

Hi all,

Making it simple.

Devices...

1 x Xbox 360 with Component only (not got a HDMI one).

1 x HTPC with HDMI out.

AMP...

Yamaha RX-1000

- with 3 x Component in and 1 x Component out

- with 3 x HDMI in and 1 x HDMI out

Screens...

1 x Samsung TV with HDMI and Component inputs.

1 x Panasonic PTAE2000 Projector with HDMI and Component inputs.

At the moment I have the Xbox 360 going INTO the AMP and a really crap cheap switch on the amp OUT which allows me to direct the picture to my TV or Projector. This works fine.

I dont have an HDMI switch but I need to do the same thing for my HTPC.

So should i just get a £50 ish switch for 1 HDMI in and 2 HDMI out (which I can find on eBay for example)?

Or if I can I would like to get a switch which can do both Component / HDMI in, and then Component / HDMI out. Or even convert Component to HDMI.

Or can my amp take the Component in and output it on the HDMI? - this would mean I only need a HDMI switch.

Dont really want to spend mega money here

What would you do / suggest?

Thanks all,

D.

You can test your receiver to see if it outputs component over HDMI. If nothing else check the manual

For an HDMI splitter, check out Monoprice.com. They are very reliable and have excellent pricing. I currently use one of their splitters and 5x1 switch.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
You might want to look at this Octava 3x2 switch - 3 inputs, independently sent to either of 2 outputs. It can't output any single input to both displays at the same time, but it can output one input to one display while outputting a second input to the other display. I use it in a slightly more complex setup with my HTPCs and 2 displays.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I dont need to have the image on both screens at the same time, just a simple switch that takes the input from my amp, and two outputs going to the tv and projector.

I found one on eBay which does the job. If you can see what you think i would appreciate the advice. Search for "HD TV in 2 Rooms V1.3 HDMI 1080P 2 Way 1x2 Splitter SKY". Its in the UK.

Ta,

D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts