AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my HDMI switch, which is a 4x2 from Purelink ($699), may be limiting my two 1080p sources (XA2 and PS3) to 1080i into my RS1. I haven't been able to run a full array of tests yet, but it seems like they will connect at 1080p w/o the switch, but only 1080i going through it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

On a possibly related note, SD-DVDs look substantially better upscaling to 720p from the XA2 than 1080i. 720p is noticeably sharper. Because of the problem referenced above, I can't compare 720p to 1080p.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Is that switch 1.3 compatible???

I understand that 1.3 is backward compatable to all the previous HDMI versions.

That may be why HDMI works w/o the switch. I almost bet thats why.

Gotta love HDMI for this reason. Thats why I hate HDMI sometimes it works sometimes it wont.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar problem of only 1080i and not 1080p because of a long (15m) and not so good HDMI cable.

The HD1/RS1 did not want to playback a 1080p signal. When I changed the cable to a better and shorter one I did not have that problem anymore.

The quality of the HDMI signal certainly is important. Probably your switcher is not so good.

Greetings

Hans

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've now confirmed that both my XA2 and PS3 connect at 1080p with no issues if I get my HDMI switch out of their way and hook up directly. Apparently, the source machines, the projector, the length of the HDMI runs and the quality of the HDMI cables are not the problerm. Unfortunately, I need to get the switch working for my setup (need three HDMI inputs and two outputs).

Purelink claims that they have sent my installer an updated version with new firmware and slightly different hardware. If this one doesn't pass 1080p, it's on to another brand. I've got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. My new Purelink switch is going in to the line up tomorrow. We'll see how she fairs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.