AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a bit of an odd setup I'm trying to achieve. I currently have a 32" TV in my bedroom that I use to watch TV on (it picks up a TV signal over my network using an HDHomeRun Prime). I have a desk in the same room with a monitor/keyboard/mouse sitting on top. I'd like to use the computer for the TV and the Desk setup.

As I understand it, an HDMI switch would allow multiple inputs going to one output (screen), and would allow you to cycle between them. This is not what I need, as I have one input, and multiple outputs.

Also, an HDMI Splitter would not work, because it would cause the image to be displayed on both outputs. Normally, I wouldn't care - I would just turn off the screen I wasn't using. (For example, I'd turn off the TV screen when at the desk). However, the TV resolution would need to be different from the Monitor's resolution. (TV would be much lower to allow for use when in bed/further away).

So, what I need is a type of HDMI switch that will allow me to switch between outputs, with only 1 input. Does such an animal exist?

Thanks!
Diatech

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Hello,

I have a bit of an odd setup I'm trying to achieve. I currently have a 32" TV in my bedroom that I use to watch TV on (it picks up a TV signal over my network using an HDHomeRun Prime). I have a desk in the same room with a monitor/keyboard/mouse sitting on top. I'd like to use the computer for the TV and the Desk setup.

As I understand it, an HDMI switch would allow multiple inputs going to one output (screen), and would allow you to cycle between them. This is not what I need, as I have one input, and multiple outputs.

Also, an HDMI Splitter would not work, because it would cause the image to be displayed on both outputs. Normally, I wouldn't care - I would just turn off the screen I wasn't using. (For example, I'd turn off the TV screen when at the desk). However, the TV resolution would need to be different from the Monitor's resolution. (TV would be much lower to allow for use when in bed/further away).

So, what I need is a type of HDMI switch that will allow me to switch between outputs, with only 1 input. Does such an animal exist?

Thanks!
Diatech
How do you intend to switch the resolution of the source?

The source itself determines the resolution coming down the line. So, if your source is spitting out 1280x720 resolution (720p) then that's what you will receive at a HDMI splitter.

It is possible that your source could dynamically change depending on what destination is powered on, but this isn't typically the case. Most often, the resolution will stay the same, and most often that resolution is 1080p (1920x1080/60hz).

·
Registered
959 Posts
Just wondering, as this might be the cheaper option and easier to deal with. Why not use a video card that has 2 HDMI outs (or one HDMI and one DVI-D out)?

This way you can have them both at their native res, if your on the desktop PC and you want to watch something on the TV just drop it over into that window and go.

It would be extending your desktop over 2 monitors. This is what I think I would do here. Set the PC monitor as the primary and the TV as the 2nd...

On the PC side, I would use the DVI/DVI-D and run the HDMI to the TV. From what I seen, HDMI does not send over post commands, that might be useful on the PC side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts