AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this item that surely caught my interest considering the excessively high cost of these HDMI/DVI switches. I can't post a link since there isn't a reference to it on their site, but here is the specs and photo on the switch.

Now the bad news.

It's mechanical, not electronic (passive vs active) which means contacts that will oxidize down the road. That also means NO remote control.

But, for well less than half the price of the 'other' switch?

One place to get it is;
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...ff=6&sort=prod
Link updated

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The problem here may be that the switch is not HDCP compliant, in which case, a lot of DVI/HDMI devices won't talk to it.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II /forum/post/0

The problem here may be that the switch is not HDCP compliant, in which case, a lot of DVI/HDMI devices won't talk to it.

If it is a straight mechanical switch - how can it be HDCP compliant - and why would it have to be?

Surely a mechanical switch is doing the same as same as pulling out a cable from one source and replacing it with a cable from another source? Won't the HDCP algorithms re-handshake after a second or three?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I guess it is possible, but I'll wait for someone else to spend their hundred dollars and verify that there isn't a problem. It would have provided some assurance if the promo for the item had noted that it was HDCP compatible.

This is a touchy issue with me since I spent many an hour dealing with Samsung and my DVI switch vendor trying to resolve handshake issues between my Samsung DVD player, the switch, and my Samsung DLP DTV. Even now it isn't a sure thing everytime I use the switch.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/0

I came across this item that surely caught my interest considering the excessively high cost of these HDMI/DVI switches. I can't post a link since there isn't a reference to it on their site, but here is the specs and photo on the switch.

Now the bad news.

It's mechanical, not electronic (passive vs active) which means contacts that will oxidize down the road. That also means NO remote control.

But, for well less than half the price of the 'other' switch?

Give it a shot. We elect you to get it and test it. If it doesn't work, return it. If it does, it's an alternative to the expensive Gefen switch. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for the Gefen 4x2 HDMI switch to be released next week.

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
but I'll wait for someone else to spend their hundred dollars

Please read again. I said it was "well under $100".

Quote:
We elect you to get it and test it. If it doesn't work, return it.

I have already planned on trying it. I would have to try it with both my computers with a DVI out to my 19" LCD monitor since that is all I have with a DVI out.

The distributor already offered a full refund if I didn't like it.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
HDMI is by definition HDCP-compliant, and as sneals2000 said, a plain mechanical pin-to-pin switch should be basically no different from two cables end-to-end. I will be happy to be a 'guinea pig' and spend the money on one or two of these.

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I receive the switch I will post pics of the inside. I'm also interested just how they wired the two connectors. If in parallel, then can it be used as a plug adapter? DVI on one input and DVI on another or any variation?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/0

I would have to try it with both my computers with a DVI out to my 19" LCD monitor since that is all I have with a DVI out.

The distributor already offered a full refund if I didn't like it.

Google "DVI switch" and you will find several, relatively inexpensive, DVI switches out there. But, they are for computer setups, not DTV video, which is why folks in these forums have been stuck w/ the expensive Gefen and Dtrovision switches.

I look forward to the posted results for use of this switch in DTV video application. I'm going to be adding another DVI item to my system and I'm out of switch ports on my current DVI switch.

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It appears to have HDMI AND DVI connectors on each in/out.

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the switch.

The good:

Cost

BOTH DVI & HDMI inputs/outputs

all wiring on a circuit board, no separate wires

The bad:

large footprint

connections on 3 sides (takes up alot of real estate)

no mounting holes

mechanical switching

non remote control

It appaeras this is a 4x2 switch. Separate paths for the DVI & HDMI connections. Which means you can't mix connectors, has to be either DVI or HDMI. BUT, it also means you have the ability of 2 DVI devices and 2 HDMI devices going to 2 different monitors.

As far as mounting you could remove 2 of the 4 screws from the bottom and drill through the case and use a small diameter screw to mount the unit to the side of the stand or mount it under a shelve. You could also use drywall screws and mount the whole assembly with cables attached using the connectors as a mount point with screw on both sides of the connectors.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
You can buy that switch at Markertek, great store.

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
$9 more than dealer cost.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was considering this switcher because I have one of those Sanyo 32" hdtv's that are notorious for poor component inputs. With this you could have your dvd and hdtv cable box plugged through the hdmi port which is great on these tv's.

But my tv isn't positioned in the room in a hard place to get to the back of. I'd just be better off saving some money and switching the cables manually since I have to get off the couch regardless right?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
What a coincidence, I just bought this switch from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B000B8UV3M

Shipping was fast and reasonable. I received it yesterday and promptly opened it up. It's a purely passive switch so I think it avoids all of the HDCP compliant nonsense. However, I do not have a HDCP compliant source yet. I purchased this in anticipation of getting a HDTV STB, which will certainly have HDCP.

It's made in China, not that high quality feeling, certainly not worth $44, but with no competition out there, what do you expect. I think this thing could be cranked out in massive quantities for $20 each.

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
not that high quality feeling

Actually it was better than I thought. The case is the worst part.

Even at $45 it's beats paying $230 for a remote switch! Just don't know how it will hold up over time. But, at that price you could buy 5 of them and be ahead.

Here is the site;
http://www.philmore-datak.com/new_2005.htm

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Just would like to report back that this switch is working beautifully. I have the following:

Oppo DVD player via 3' DVI cable to switch box

Accurian HDTV STB via 3' HDMI-DVI cable to switch box

Switchbox via 12' DVI cable to Toshiba 57H81 TV

Everything works fine. No HDCP issues as far as I can tell between the HDTV STB and the TV (Oppo is not HDCP compliant).

1 - 20 of 210 Posts