AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just installed a new projector. 35' HDMI to cabinet. 2 sources: HD Cable box and Blue-Ray. I bought a 3 to 1 Monoprice HDMI Switcher. The HD Cable signal is just fine. But the Blue-Ray breaks up. I'm assuming the extra information passed via BR is too much. When I connect BR directly to projector, no problems. SO, the problem is through the switcher. NOW, here is the question. There is an input for DC power for the switcher. But is says it doesn't need the power and no power cord was supplied. If I add power, what is the chance it will boost signal and work with the BR? Or is this just wishful thinking?

·
Registered
986 Posts
I would first replace the HDMi cables before blaming the switch. HDMI signals are very sensitive to voltage drop, even a little dust in the plug can disrupt the signal. HDMI works at 5v but the signal can be lost if the voltage drops to 4.7v.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Robert,

The cables are new. As is the switcher. The signal is fine when going straight from the BR to the projector. Only when I use the switcher is the signal dropped; and this is intermintent, maybe 10%, in and out.

Could just the extra connection be causing a loss? The switcher has a 5v power input. (power cord did not come with it) Any chance that that would help?

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAR5197 /forum/post/0

I have just installed a new projector. 35' HDMI to cabinet. 2 sources: HD Cable box and Blue-Ray. I bought a 3 to 1 Monoprice HDMI Switcher. The HD Cable signal is just fine. But the Blue-Ray breaks up. I'm assuming the extra information passed via BR is too much. When I connect BR directly to projector, no problems. SO, the problem is through the switcher. NOW, here is the question. There is an input for DC power for the switcher. But is says it doesn't need the power and no power cord was supplied. If I add power, what is the chance it will boost signal and work with the BR? Or is this just wishful thinking?

Possibly wishful thinking, however my suggestion is to buy the compatible power supply from them and try it out. I've tried a few of there products lately and have not had problems, however I would never expect a non powered switch to pass BR. I've got a friend passing BR through there 4X2 matrix switcher to 2 TVs on 35 foot HDMI with great success.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.