AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any Receivers out there that have a "seamless" HDMI switch in them? What I mean.... When switching resolutions, whether from channel to channel, or even on a BluRay, I get a black screen to blue screen from my Onkyo to my projector. Sometimes only a second long, but really why does new technology want me longing for good old technology like SD where everything seemed more responsive.....

Anyway, does anyone know of a receiver that just allows content to go through without any hassle of self correcting? Yes, my Onkyo is set to through on the video HDMI setting.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I hear ya. This was totally a surprise to me when I made the move to HDMI components because no one ever seems to talk about it much. I guess everyone just accepts it as a necessary evil of HDMI and moves on. Anyway, this has since become my pet issue to prioritize unreasonably in new gear.

I've only had three HDMI receivers/prepros (in the span of a month, mind you): Yamaha RX-V661, Emotiva UMC-1, and Onkyo 885. In terms of fast HDMI switching, the winner by a fairly wide margin was the 661. It's the only one that switched as fast as SD connectors, with no blank screen garbage for even a second.The 661's an older receiver though, so hopefully other people can chime in with other candidates.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
You are witnessing the "HDMI handshake" that occurs each time two components need to talk to each other, regardless if it is a first time communication (like turn on) or a break in communication (changing channels or resolutions, etc.). How quickly the handshake takes is dependent on how well the interface has been implemented in the slowest device.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18184294

You are witnessing the "HDMI handshake" that occurs each time two components need to talk to each other, regardless if it is a first time communication (like turn on) or a break in communication (changing channels or resolutions, etc.). How quickly the handshake takes is dependent on how well the interface has been implemented in the slowest device.

I have a 706 as well. Really hope that someone figures this handshake out.... soon. It is annoying, and makes equipment look inadequate when using it to show people.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts