AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Samsung HDTV, and all three of the HDMI input ports on it are shot - they are so loose I can’t get a connection where the picture isn’t completely distorted.

I talked to a guy in the Geek Squad at Best Buy who seemed to know what he is talking about. He said they can’t repair them but all I needed was a HDMI to AV composite converter. I bought one, but it is not working.

I have Xfinity cable, so I am running the HDMI out from the cable box into the converter. The converter has the red/white/yellow outputs that I then run into the AV inputs on the TV. The converter plugs in and runs off power from a USB jack and has the PAL/NTSC switch. The TV is at least is getting something from it. Before I plug it in when I switch the input to AV it just gives a blue screen and says no signal detected. With the converter it goes to a black screen and displays NTSC or PAL depending on what I switch it to, but still no picture or audio.

Does anyone know what’s up? Should this work?

Thanks.

·
Registered
854 Posts
You probably need a 1080p converter box, as the TV is HD(1080p) and not PAL(576i)/NTSC(480i), it probably won't work correctly? I'm sure others will be able to give you some advice as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I have an older Samsung HDTV, and all three of the HDMI input ports on it are shot - they are so loose I can’t get a connection where the picture isn’t completely distorted.

I talked to a guy in the Geek Squad at Best Buy who seemed to know what he is talking about. He said they can’t repair them but all I needed was a HDMI to AV composite converter. I bought one, but it is not working.

I have Xfinity cable, so I am running the HDMI out from the cable box into the converter. The converter has the red/white/yellow outputs that I then run into the AV inputs on the TV. The converter plugs in and runs off power from a USB jack and has the PAL/NTSC switch. The TV is at least is getting something from it. Before I plug it in when I switch the input to AV it just gives a blue screen and says no signal detected. With the converter it goes to a black screen and displays NTSC or PAL depending on what I switch it to, but still no picture or audio.

Thanks.
One thing to check, devices that draw power from USB jacks don't always get enough power from them to operate properly. What device has the USB jack you're using ? if you can experiment with other devices with USB jacks on them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing to check, devices that draw power from USB jacks don't always get enough power from them to operate properly. What device has the USB jack you're using ? if you can experiment with other devices with USB jacks on them.
I’m not certain I understand your question. The converter needs to be powered. It came with a USB cable. One end is a standard USB that plugs into a charging block like you would charge your phone or anything else with. The other end has a much smaller male that plugs into a small jack on the converter. I did check the block to confirm it works by plugging a phone into it and it works fine.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I’m not certain I understand your question. The converter needs to be powered. It came with a USB cable. One end is a standard USB that plugs into a charging block like you would charge your phone or anything else with. The other end has a much smaller male that plugs into a small jack on the converter. I did check the block to confirm it works by plugging a phone into it and it works fine.
People have found in the past that certain devices like a USB hub required more power then they could get from USB jacks on some computers. Some phones don't need much power to charge the battery. Your converter may need more power than a phone charger can provide.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Check Facebook Market place for free HD TV's in your area, it is insane what people are just giving away now, perfectly working amazing sets but they all want 4k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Xfinity link, so I am running the HDMI out from the link confine to the converter. The converter has the red/white/yellow results that I then, at that point, run into the AV inputs on the TV. The converter connects and runs off power from a USB jack and has the PAL/NTSC switch. The TV is essentially is getting something from it. Before I plug it in when I change the contribution to AV it simply gives a blue screen and says no sign identified. With the converter it goes to a dark screen and shows NTSC or PAL contingent upon what I change it to, yet at the same time no image or sound.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Does the cable box actually let you use a HDMI cable converter? You may have a copy protection issue that's causing the back screen.

Someone else may have a solution, but with the prices of TVs nowadays, I would just buy a new one instead of spending any time or money trying to work around bad HDMI outputs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How old is the Samsung? There is probably a coaxial input that you can connect to the cable box. Coaxial to cable box, coaxial from box to back of tv. Usually to the left of hdmi ports and by the pc and USB ports.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How old is the Samsung? There is probably a coaxial input that you can connect to the cable box. Coaxial to cable box, coaxial from box to back of tv. Usually to the left of hdmi ports and by the pc and USB ports.
Yes it does have a coaxial input. I am currently using that while I try and figure this out. But coaxial only carries SD and this is a 55” so the resolution is terrible.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

Thanks.
Does the cable box actually let you use a HDMI cable converter? You may have a copy protection issue that's causing the back screen.

Someone else may have a solution, but with the prices of TVs nowadays, I would just buy a new one instead of spending any time or money trying to work around bad HDMI outputs.
You did not state what brand and model of the adapter you're using but I think tokerblue is correct about the copy protection. I ran into a similar problem years ago when DirecTV changed something and I got no signal through a converter box which was going into a DVR using an S-VHS input which doesn't carry copy protection but the adapter still was taking the original output through the HDMI. The salesman at Best Buy might not be aware of the copy protection issues since a lot of these adapters are used with gaming devices or dvd players hooked up to older tv's or projectors to give new life to these old sets, not necessarily for use with pay tv services. The only solution was to use an HDMI splitter, some of which can strip the copy protection scheme. Here is a link I used in the past and is still updated regarding the issue I believe you have. It probably isn't worth the trouble as others have stated.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yes it does have a coaxial input. I am currently using that while I try and figure this out. But coaxial only carries SD and this is a 55” so the resolution is terrible.
The resolution is not going to be much better through the RCA jacks on a tv that large. Maybe on something like 32 inches or less and even then, you will notice the artifacts especially if the color saturation is high like on one I had.

·
Registered
13,764 Posts
Most cable boxes require HDCP on HDMI port. Without it, you are not going to get any pictures.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
998 Posts
Composite picture will be awful, even if you can figure out how to get it.
It pains me to say it, but I think you need a new TV.
Does it have component inputs?
They're at ;least HD, and there are HDMI to component converters that actually work.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Composite picture will be awful, even if you can figure out how to get it.
It pains me to say it, but I think you need a new TV.
Does it have component inputs?
They're at ;least HD, and there are HDMI to component converters that actually work.
But the OP would probably run into the same issue due to HDCP so unless you use a splitter as referenced in the earlier link, it still might not work.

·
Registered
13,764 Posts
That is really throwing money down the rabbit hole. The cost of those stripper could be close to what a new entry level TV and guess what, that entry level TV will still have 100 times better PQ than any TV using a composite video import.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
That is really throwing money down the rabbit hole. The cost of those stripper could be close to what a new entry level TV and guess what, that entry level TV will still have 100 times better PQ than any TV using a composite video import.

HDMI splitters are cheap. There are other devices as well. It all depends on what the user wants. I agree it's not worth the trouble but there are ways around the copy protection.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts