AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early Hauppauge video capture device. It has worked very nicely to extract individual performances from our favorite reality shows, "so you think you can dance" and "the voice". As I understand it, there is nothing illegal about this if I don't sell it, upload it, or give it away. This is solely for my own purposes. I do not wish to save a two hour program in order to see a five minute segment.

I recently switched from dish network to xfinity. With the dish hopper, there were dual outputs – HDMI and component. I could run the HDMI to my A/V receiver and ultimately to my Acer projector. I could also simultaneously run my component output from the hopper to my Hauppauge device ultimately recording that output to the computer via USB.

Unfortunately, the XFINITY device does not have component output – they used to but not anymore. They do however have two HDMI outputs that can be taken to other televisions. The Hauppauge unit has only the capability of receiving component video (the five RCA cables – two audio and three video).'s

So what I need to do is convert one of these HDMI outputs to component. There are any number of devices that say they will do this. However, I have seen technical commentary that indicates some of these will not function properly in the conversion if the signal has copy protection. Others will. This seems to be a delicate subject as it might seem that I am attempting to do something illegal but I don't think that I am. If I had an older television set with no HDMI input and I needed to send a signal to it, it would be much the same.

I have searched but have not found a good discussion of this issue. I would be very grateful for informed input and perhaps even recommendations for individual products that would meet my need. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
13,425 Posts
HDMI output from a Cable box almost certainly require HDCP copy protection enabled. So a converter would require HDCP support on HDMI port which is probably rare and expensive. There are also devices that can strip out the HDCP and convert into regular HDMI ( google HD Fury). Again, quite expensive. If you don't want to venture into CableCard based turners (with WMC pretty much the only solution to view DRM channels), your best bet is to request your provider send you an older cable box that supports component output. But given Comcast now mostly switch over to H.264 codec, those old cable box might not support this either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HDMI output from a Cable box almost certainly require HDCP copy protection enabled. So a converter would require HDCP support on HDMI port which is probably rare and expensive. There are also devices that can strip out the HDCP and convert into regular HDMI ( google HD Fury). Again, quite expensive. If you don't want to venture into CableCard based turners (with WMC pretty much the only solution to view DRM channels), your best bet is to request your provider send you an older cable box that supports component output. But given Comcast now mostly switch over to H.264 codec, those old cable box might not support this either.
I've heard it can be done with an inexpensive device. Just need to find out which one.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts