AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a "box" that will handle 2~HDMI inputs with 1~HDMI output and 1~Component output.


I have an older Mitusbishi Rear Projection that will only handle Component. One of my sources, HR10-250 (HD-TiVo) will only out put HDMI or Component, not both.


I have looked at the iScan VP30, the Dragonfly and Mosquito HDMI by Algolith. All of those solutions are to pricey at the moment.


I have thought about using a Gefen 2X2 HDMI Switcher, but is there a "box" that will down convert HDMI to Component?


Appreciate any help that is out there


Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyer
I have thought about using a Gefen 2X2 HDMI Switcher, but is there a "box" that will down convert HDMI to Component?
HMDI is a digital signal, and in the majority of cases HDCP encrypted. The HDCP license specifically forbids any device from downconverting the signal for analog output.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Josh,


Thanks, but I am confused as to how iScan and Algolith has it in their products?


Dave
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,571 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, but I am confused as to how iScan and Algolith has it in their products?
All those devices are not simply transcoders. They're video processors with more than just HDMI inputs. All those processors you mentioned will not output an analog signal if fed an HDCP protected source.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sound like I am out of luck. I guess I will have to upgrade my old Mitsubishi.


Thanks,


Dave
 

·
UHD Addict
Joined
·
38,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyer
I am trying to find a "box" that will handle 2~HDMI inputs with 1~HDMI output and 1~Component output.


I have an older Mitusbishi Rear Projection that will only handle Component. One of my sources, HR10-250 (HD-TiVo) will only out put HDMI or Component, not both.


I have looked at the iScan VP30, the Dragonfly and Mosquito HDMI by Algolith. All of those solutions are to pricey at the moment.


I have thought about using a Gefen 2X2 HDMI Switcher, but is there a "box" that will down convert HDMI to Component?


Appreciate any help that is out there


Dave
Right now you can use the HDMI output of the HD-TiVos to a scaler and output at an HD resolution using the component output with the scaler. At some point I would think DirecTV will update the box to prevent it or downrez when it doesn't see the HDCP signal. But it has worked since the HD-TiVo was released in 2004.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axatax
All those devices are not simply transcoders. They're video processors with more than just HDMI inputs. All those processors you mentioned will not output an analog signal if fed an HDCP protected source.
It's even worth, as I can say from my HDMI Mosquito: if the input signal comes via HDMI, regardless whether HDCP protected or not, then no output signal is generated on the YUV outputs. And the other way around as well, so if the input comes via YUV, then no HDMI output is generated.


Silly, but true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
Right now you can use the HDMI output of the HD-TiVos to a scaler and output at an HD resolution using the component output with the scaler. At some point I would think DirecTV will update the box to prevent it or downrez when it doesn't see the HDCP signal. But it has worked since the HD-TiVo was released in 2004.
That would work for my HD-TiVo :) , but my DVD player is HDCP compliant :( . I would have to introduce a second switch box for the component out on the DVD player and the HD-TiVo/DVI/VGA/Component converter It may still be less of a headache to replace the Mitsubishi with a display that is HDCP compliant with an HDMI jack.


Thanks all :D


Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
I dont know if your Mits has rgbhv input but mine does. There is a box that will take a DVI hdcp input and output as rgbhv. Dtrovision makes it and Digital connection sells them.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top