AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting for the new HD DirecTivo to come out. I currently have an RCA DTC-100 going into an RCA 52" HD Monitor.

From the specs I have seen, the new HD DirecTivo has 2 methods to output HD signals. A component output and a new HDMI output. The specs say it also comes with a HDMI to DVI converter cable. Now my TV has a component input, but I believe it is only 480p, and a RGB input that is 1080i.

I would like to use the RGB input, but the question is will I be able to convert the DVI signal to RGB after it has already been converted from HDMI to DVI. Also, since HDMI also has the sound integrated, does the HDMI to DVI converter that will come with the unit, break out the sound into a separate feed?

I would prefer to use the HDMI if possible so that I don't have to use a Component to RGB converter/transcoder(not sure which one).

Thanks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
THis is mostly speculation, since I have never done this, but I would imagine the DVI adapter would have audio cables attached as well. And the DVI to RGB should not be a problem with a simple adapter.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I don't think it will be easy to get RGB out of the HDMI/DVI connection. In some cases where a DVI-I connector is used there are additional pins in the connection that allow the analog RGB to be carried on the same connection and you can get it with an adapter plug. With HDMI, I do not think these pin are present and analog RGB is also not there.

The easiest way, might be to get a component to RGB transcoder and convert the Component output to RGB.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a google search about DVI, HDMI and RGB and pretty much came to the conclusion that it probably can't be done.

So I will need to get an upconverter? to convert the Component to RGB. I have seen some for around $60 and some for $250. There can't be that much difference between them. Or is one just a converter (RGB to Component) and the other an upconverter (Component to RGB).

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link. I found a 4x1 component switchbox there. I have been needing one of those.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yep,

Can't be done. DVI-HDTV is DVI-D, which is all digital. DVI-A and DVI-I(DVI-A is analog, DVI-I is analog and Digital) can both be adapted to RGB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.