AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone makes a switching matrix that takes HDMI inputs and distributes them via Ethernet?

I only need a 6 input 4 output model.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrnel /forum/post/12896325

Just wondering if anyone makes a switching matrix that takes HDMI inputs and distributes them via Ethernet?

I only need a 8 input 4 output model.

Thanks!

Is there some device that only outputs HDMI and not component..? Component over Cat5 would be less hassle (I hate HDCP) and far less costly.

If, for some reason that's not readily apparent to me, you are bound and determined to to use HDMI, I'm not aware of a matrix switch that does so, but Intelix makes a set of HDMI, HDCP-compliant baluns for sending HDMI over Cat5 (but they're like $500+ per pair, as opposed to something like $150 per pair for component baluns), which you can use with the HDMI matrix switch of your choosing...

Cheers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickyfingers /forum/post/12896403

Is there some device that only outputs HDMI and not component..? Component over Cat5 would be less hassle (I hate HDCP) and far less costly.

If, for some reason that's not readily apparent to me, you are bound and determined to to use HDMI, I'm not aware of a matrix switch that does so, but Intelix makes a set of HDMI, HDCP-compliant baluns for sending HDMI over Cat5 (but they're like $500+ per pair, as opposed to something like $150 per pair for component baluns), which you can use with the HDMI matrix switch of your choosing...

Cheers.

Thats a good point. I guess it doesnt really matter if I go HDMI or Component. So I guess I am really looking for a unit that outputs directly to ethernet.

I am assuming that a unit with the encoding baluns integrated will be less expensive than having a pair of external baluns, but that may not be true.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I think I saved a significant chunk o' change using Intelix baluns on each end, a Neothings Borrego to do the switching, and a Xantech IR system for control (though I would, and will, use RF if doing it over) - vs. using a AVAtrix (though the AVAtrix folks are very kind, and many folks love their AVAtrixes...).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet! That is right in my budget.

The Borrego looks great, but I couldn't find an Intelix balun that switched component and analog audio. All the models seem to only use digital audio.

Also, what RF control system do you recommend?

I can say that it will be nice to only have to run Cat5 through my new house instead of HDMI, Cat5 and RG6.

Thanks for the great info!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Ah. Yep. I used baluns on both ends (HD + digital audio and stereo audio) though, IIRC, I think I might have used the same Cat5 for both stereo audio AND IR (I'd have to take off the wallplate and look, I can't recall off the top of my head).

FWIW, if you go this way, it'll be a fair number of baluns in your rack location and, assuming you're using some type of 19" rack for your components, Intelix makes a great little balun holder + rackrail thingamajigger that helps in keeping it all tidy.

Regarding RF, here's what I wrote over on another thread :
Quote:
If WAF was even a consideration, I'd invest in a RF-based remote control processor (something like RTI's RP-6 or URC's MSC-400). Yes, I know this enters you into the morass of DYI vs. CI, but it's my experience that long macro strings over IR work ~90% - 95% of the time.

If you have a loving patient wife, then that 5% - 10% won't be that big of a deal. If you don't, it'll be an ongoing source of marital frustration that "THE #$#$##% $X SYSTEM DOESN'T EVEN WORK RIGHT!!!"

As the day goes on, I'm sure others will chime in here, and maybe they've had better experience with 100% IR control than I have...(although, as I said, mine has probably a > 95% response rate to inputs and that's enough for me or my daughter (she's 11), but it can make my wife crazy).

Good macro-based RF control is (unless others are aware of solutions I'm not), still somewhat the domain of CIs (in terms of having full/legit access to the HW and SW), but I think that's the control system I'll be moving to later this year...

My $.o2...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for the info. I know what you mean about the wife getting frustrated. My last HT setup included a Pronto remote (flaky already) and my HDTV did not have discrete codes for the various inputs. The combination of the Pronto which worked with macros about 70% of the time and having to cycle through input made my wife want to kill me every time we watched TV.

We gave up on that setup 7 years ago and she is just now letting me build a new system.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Just as a point of clarification, these solutions DO NOT convert HDMI or Component to ethernet. They convert unbalanced signals that normally run on 75ohm cable to balanced 100ohm compatible signals. But you cannot run them through any Ethernet switches, hubs, etc. You are simply using the medium of Cat5 for the wiring and that is all. It is a point A to point B installation. No star topology.

There are a couple of solutions out there that will run component + analog audio on one Cat5, but most use two cat5's as without any transcoding or analog to digital conversion, it takes 10 conductors to run balanced component and analog audio and cat5 of course only has 8.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee /forum/post/12901884

Just as a point of clarification, these solutions DO NOT convert HDMI or Component to ethernet. They convert unbalanced signals that normally run on 75ohm cable to balanced 100ohm compatible signals. But you cannot run them through any Ethernet switches, hubs, etc. You are simply using the medium of Cat5 for the wiring and that is all. It is a point A to point B installation. No star topology.

Fair enough (and excellent point). Frankly, I'm not entirely sure what it would mean to "convert to 'ethernet'." Hrmmmm... I suppose that would be some type of encoding and decoding on both ends, que no..? Too late for me to think that deeply...

Quote:
There are a couple of solutions out there that will run component + analog audio on one Cat5, but most use two cat5's as without any transcoding or analog to digital conversion, it takes 10 conductors to run balanced component and analog audio and cat5 of course only has 8.

Just for giggles (and because I don't think I knew of it when I setup this first system last year), which products carry component + stereo on 1 Cat5 (and how the heck do they do it without the requisite number of connectors?)..?

Cheers Robert.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickyfingers /forum/post/12903652

Fair enough (and excellent point). Frankly, I'm not entirely sure what it would mean to "convert to 'ethernet'." Hrmmmm... I suppose that would be some type of encoding and decoding on both ends, que no..? Too late for me to think that deeply...

Just for giggles (and because I don't think I knew of it when I setup this first system last year), which products carry component + stereo on 1 Cat5 (and how the heck do they do it without the requisite number of connectors?)..?

Cheers Robert.

Gefen and NTI

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4141#buy
http://www.networktechinc.com/hdtv-extend.html

They are encoding the analog audio into something digital and then decoding on the other end...But they are considerably more expensive.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts