AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snapstream has an enterprise version of BTV where seem to be applying all of their efforts. This link appeared recently in their forums. This blog is targeted at the BTV enterprise crowd, but might give us a peek into the future of HTPC capture of premium HD cable.

There appears to be 2 commercially available devices (from Blonder Tongue and Adtec), allbethey very expensive that can convert HDMI to QAM which can then be distributed or even blended with other cable signals on your home cable system. A third device is component to QAM (by Contemporary Research). The Hauppauge HDPVR is not mentioned, maybe because it outputs over ethernet rather than Coax.

These are very expensive devices ($5000 - $10000), but they exist today and over time the price will surely drop. Am I missing something or is this the next generation of HD capture device for HTPC enthusiasts.

I thought this might spark an interesting discussion.

BB

edit The Adtec device no longer exists on their website so maybe it has run afoul of the DRM police.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 /forum/post/18285151

Snapstream has an enterprise version of BTV where seem to be applying all of their efforts. This link appeared recently in their forums. This blog is targeted at the BTV enterprise crowd, but might give us a peek into the future of HTPC capture of premium HD cable.

There appears to be 2 commercially available devices (from Blonder Tongue and Adtec), allbethey very expensive that can convert HDMI to QAM which can then be distributed or even blended with other cable signals on your home cable system. A third device is component to QAM (by Contemporary Research). The Hauppauge HDPVR is not mentioned, maybe because it outputs over ethernet rather than Coax.

These are very expensive devices ($5000 - $10000), but they exist today and over time the price will surely drop. Am I missing something or is this the next generation of HD capture device for HTPC enthusiasts.

I thought this might spark an interesting discussion.

BB

Interesting but...Even a drop to $1000 would be too pricey as far a I am concerned. If this becomes a mainstream, user friendly, & affordable way to circumvent broadcast encryption and HDCP then I foresee this being a short lived technology thanks to lawsuits & attempts at criminal prosecution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts