AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Blu Ray DVD player that only has an HDMI output. My TV also has HDMI but then I can only play sound through the TV speakers. I want to connect the audio portion to my external speakers which only has rca connectors. How can I do this?

PS - I'd like to keep the DVD player connected via HDMI to the TV (and just mute the sound) to get the best picture.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have a Blu Ray DVD player that only has an HDMI output. My TV also has HDMI but then I can only play sound through the TV speakers. I want to connect the audio portion to my external speakers which only has rca connectors. How can I do this?

PS - I'd like to keep the DVD player connected via HDMI to the TV (and just mute the sound) to get the best picture.
What speakers do you have?

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Give us the specific brand and models of all the equipment you have including the TV.

The best general advice is to get a DAC (digital to analog converter). Most modern TVs have an Optical Digital Audio Output, though on rare occasion they have a coaxial digital audio out. Connect the Optical to the DAC, then the DAD to the Active Speaker or an amp, and you should hear everything that plays from your TV.

It is possible that your Player might have a digital out other than HDMI, but we can't know that until we know the brand and model of the Player. If so, then that Optical Out could go directly to the DAC bypassing the TV altogether.

DACs can run from a very basic $25 up to about $300 for a more versatile DAC with multiple inputs. Many people who simply want to feed their TV/Movie sound to a Stereo or Active speakers, are quite happy with the common $25 DAC.

Here is just one example of a very basic DAC -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4ORTZ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The lowest cost option is to simply connect the Headphone Out of the TV to either the input of Active Speaker or to an Amp. Not the absolute best for sound quality, but certainly better than most TV built in speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
110 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.