AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at this splitter , which would reduce a whole lot of cable clutter for me.

It has 4 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output, and 1 toslink output. Will converting from HDMI to toslink affect the audio at all (noticeably)? Otherwise, I was going to have toslink cables from my source components to my receiver, but having only 1 going to the receiver would be awesome is possible.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
If you use DVDs or the legacy codecs on Blu-rays (Dolby Digital, DTS 5.1), then there theoretically shouldn't be any difference. If you use TrueHD or DTS-MA on Blu-rays, optical won't transmit those codecs.

I am curious as to what receiver you have that necessitates the HDMI switch, as a capable receiver should also do this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an older Yamaha receiver (I can't recall the model number) that doesn't have HDMI. Buying the switch would be a lot easier than buying a new receiver.

Right now I'm using component video cables with toslink audio all going through the receiver, with a single component video going to the TV. I'll be using a PS3 after Christmas, and want the best Blu-Ray has to offer, so I figured I'd switch to HDMI.

I don't really know what codecs I'm using, whatever is on regular DVDs and Blue-Ray discs. I don't really know what all that means.

edit: found the model, it's Yamaha HTR-5560.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you're currently using a TOSlink audio input on your receiver, then TOSlink from the HDMI splitter will be just as good (although it may require some changes in your source setup menus). On the other hand, a receiver with HDMI will give you access to lossless audio codecs & that sort of thing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you're going to be using a PS3, toslink cannot pass 7.1 channels of audio to your receiver. You will need a new receiver capable of HDMI audio input in order to get Dolby True-HD/DTS-HD (lossless audio codecs). If you have a 7.1 setup, you will be missing things unless you get a new receiver.

If you have a 5.1 setup, then toslink should serve you well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.