AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read about HDMI V1.3 and compatibility with lower versions on this forum, but I'm still a little confused.

I'm considering upgrading to the gear below and I want to make sure I understand.

If I get ...
46" Sony Bravia XBR4 LCD HDTV (HDMI V1.3 capable)
Sony BDP-S500 Blu-ray disk player (HDMI V1.3)

Per Sony marketing literature "Simply by connecting your Blu-ray Disc player to the HDMI connection on your A/V Receiver, the BDP-S500 can either output or internally decode Dolby TrueHD & dts-HD. - Dolby TrueHD delivers lossless studio master quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment like Blu-ray Disc movies."
Rotel RSP-1069 Surround Processor/Pre-Amp (HDMI V1.1)

Will I still get all of the benefits of HDMI V1.3 features with this setup ?

Will the Sony BDP-S500 process the HDMI V1.3 features and send them to the Rotel processor ? Will the Rotel processor be able to understand all of the HDMI V1.3 info or will some signals be ignored ?

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_rocket /forum/post/12893942

Will I still get all of the benefits of HDMI V1.3 features with this setup ?

No. HDMI 1.3 comes with some new video features (e.g. deep color) that HDMI 1.1 cannot handle. However, those new features are not yet used by any content provider, so you are not losing anything. It is also unclear if those features will ever be utilized by anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_rocket /forum/post/12893942

Will the Sony BDP-S500 process the HDMI V1.3 features and send them to the Rotel processor ? Will the Rotel processor be able to understand all of the HDMI V1.3 info or will some signals be ignored ?

If all you are concerned about is the Dolby TrueHD part, then you won't lose anything with Rotel 1069. The Sony will decode the format into multichannel PCM and pass to the Rotel via HDMI 1.1. You will then be able to enjoy Dolby TrueHD.

Around this forum there are endless debates whether it is better to have a capable receiver handle the decoding, which will require a HDMI 1.3 connection between the source player and the receiver. The problem with this setup is that the receiver would not be able to decode any of the interactive contents in the BluRay discs, since those features require on-the-fly mixing at the source player level.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcheng /forum/post/12896217

No. HDMI 1.3 comes with some new video features (e.g. deep color) that HDMI 1.1 cannot handle. However, those new features are not yet used by any content provider, so you are not losing anything. It is also unclear if those features will ever be utilized by anyone.

I know the Rotel processor won't decode the HDMI V1.3 features, but won't the Sony BDP-S500 which has decoders for all the potential V1.3 features, decode the signal and just pass it to the Rotel processor ?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ok, I gotta know, what is HDMI 1.3b and how is it different from 1.3a? I'm about to buy a new receiver and I really don't want to buy something that's outdated already. It's 1.3a so is 1.3b coming down the road? Thanks for any insight.

electron

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_rocket /forum/post/12911692

I know the Rotel processor won't decode the HDMI V1.3 features, but won't the Sony BDP-S500 which has decoders for all the potential V1.3 features, decode the signal and just pass it to the Rotel processor ?

Perhaps I should break up the question into two parts.

Video: HDMI 1.3 has some video features (e.g. deep color) that cannot be passed by HDMI 1.1. I am not aware that any contend providers are using those features yet. I am not sure whether the Sony player you have in mind can decode deep color before it passes the video signal to a receiver.

Audio: Please see my previous post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts