AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well new receivers using HDMI 1.3 have been announced & will be out his summer.

So what is next?

What is the next step in HDMI (v1.4?)?

What will change from 1.3 & when will it be rolled out?

· Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose /forum/post/0

So what is next?

Well, let's just make what we have already work correctly first.

· Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm in total agreement with tdavis. HDMI is NOT ready for prime time. It's quite shocking, and indicative of the CE industry's increasing arrogance and disrespect for its customers, that they have forced this error-prone format upon us just to protect the interests of the content providers.

Bend over, home video enthusiasts, and get your HDMI connector. From the flimsy mechanical connector to the weak protocol to the poorly administered "standards," HDMI is a disaster.

· Registered
403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblinds /forum/post/0

I'm in total agreement with tdavis. HDMI is NOT ready for prime time. It's quite shocking, and indicative of the CE industry's increasing arrogance and disrespect for its customers, that they have forced this error-prone format upon us just to protect the interests of the content providers.

Bend over, home video enthusiasts, and get your HDMI connector. From the flimsy mechanical connector to the weak protocol to the poorly administered "standards," HDMI is a disaster.

I've heard this on the board a few times - but it does not match my experience at all.

I've hooked up over a dozen HDMI devices - using 1080i, 1080p, and 1920x1200 60Hz. These range from my Playstation 3 to my LCD and Projector (both 10-15M with a 2M M-F extension cable to the wall to Dell 24" DVI monitors with DVI/HDMI cables and a Gefen HDMI distribution amp. Everything has worked the first time with the exception of some HDCP bugs in the Motorola STB.

I ran component runs everywhere in my house in fear of HDMI problems - but they have not materialized.

· Registered
1,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose /forum/post/0

So what is next?

I think they are going straight to HDMI 2.0

· Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife /forum/post/0

Hopefully they'll eventually fix the connector so that it doesn't loose connection every time you look at it funny.

LOL

While the HDMI connector isn't exactly a "vga connector type with 2 screws to fasten it", I have yet to experience a HDMI connector (I got 4 HDMI connections in my home) to get loose. Unless you shuffle your AV equipement around on a daily basis, which most people don't, those connectors, on properly built cables, should not be getting loose, from my experience.

I agree, though, that adding a small "click and lock"-type mechanism to the hole thing would be even better.

· Registered
923 Posts
I don't understand the lack of foresight in the design of the connector.

A. It should have a mechanical stay of some type!

B. It shouldn't look like a USB connector.

C. Couldn't they design something that one could easily tell top from bottom in low light, difficult to see locations.

D. Let's make the wire so rigid that any attempt to introduce wire management puts undo strain on the connector!

Don't get me started on length limitations! How are we suppose to distribute the content from a central point. People don't want duplicated source equipment at every display. Oh I know buy a fiber converter system (get out your wallet), then somehow place the fiber receiver behind the wall mounted display. It's just another box. Oh ya we have to power the fiber receiver. Oh just put the wall wart behind the display. Or run another copper wire to each display, you'll just have to figure out were at the central rack to install 6 or 8 wall warts.

Sorry off on a rant, I was just at CES looking for a real solution. Didn't really find one.

· Premium Member
4,506 Posts
I thought this thread was about updates for the next gen HDMI spec?

P.S. Personally I love HDMI - I have a single HDMI cable from my HD-DVD player

to my AV Receiver and a single HDMI cable connected to my TV and I have had

absolutely no issues whatsover - everything works great..,

· Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce /forum/post/0

I thought this thread was about updates for the next gen HDMI spec?

Yea that was the idea behind this thread, I'm still hoping to hear from some of our industry insiders about the future of HDMI.

· Registered
923 Posts
Ya maybe I got a little off topic, but it is about the future spec NO? My post/complain list was directed to those who design this stuff. Maybe, just maybe they would think about the real world a little more on the next generation interconnect. You guys that hook up a single stand alone AV system may like it, but when you do this for a living each job has it's hurdles to overcome. HDMI/HDCP just adds big time to the list.

· Registered
269 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully the experience of using HDMI continues to get better as the technology matures. The HDMI Licensing LLC organization has been trying to outreach to the professional/installer community through participation at tradeshows such as CEDIA & EHX, providing training material, and live training to the retail installers. We hope our participation in these forums provide another avenue to take in feedback for future improvements, and provide information to help make HDMI easier to use.

The feedback on the connector is well taken and acknowledged. We are certainly looking at solutions to address this. We welcome any feedback related to connector issues or compatibility on this forum. Please provide specific device information, and we'll endeavor to use your feedback to correct compliance issues when possible.

· Registered
532 Posts
So, what can future versions and specifications of HDMI offer us? We have access to the HDMI 1.3 spec. What's next?

· Registered
18,923 Posts
Nice to see a forum presence from HDMI.ORG.

My connector has not come loose, but I can sympathize with an installer whose reputation depends on reliability. If they are coming lose in installations, that's unfortunate.

I can't imagine what's next for HDMI. If it follows the history of recent connectors, it's lifespan could be measured in years anyway

I only used S-Video to hook up a gaming console. By the time I had bought better gear, component video was the way to go. I may be component video free in a year or two. For me personally S-Video was in use for only a few years. Component is looking to be 3-4 years. But I STILL use RCA terminated connectors. Now that "technology" has lasted a long time.

Hopefully HDMI will adapt with us in a non painful or expensive way.

· UHD Addict
40,061 Posts
How does an HDMI connector look like a USB connector? I can't say I've ever mistaken one for the other.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.