AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older hp pavillion m7690n which is connected to an older hdtv through a component connection. I am replacing the tv with a new epson 2350 front projector and need a hdmi video card to replace the old one. I have also bought a new Pioneer reciever and all sources will be fed into it with a single connection to the projector.

This system only has one pci express x16 slot and three regular pci slots. What card would you guys recommend? This will be used exclusively for bd movies and hd tv programs. No gaming.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudmeister /forum/post/19546201

I have an older hp pavillion m7690n which is connected to an older hdtv through a component connection. I am replacing the tv with a new epson 2350 front projector and need a hdmi video card to replace the old one. I have also bought a new Pioneer reciever and all sources will be fed into it with a single connection to the projector.

This system only has one pci express x16 slot and three regular pci slots. What card would you guys recommend? This will be used exclusively for bd movies and hd tv programs. No gaming.

Are you wanting to bitstream HD Audio? This makes a big difference.

Or are you using mainly Dolby Digital and DTS?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure. Here is what I have and plan to do.

I have 800 or so movies on a nas(a mix of dvd bd) and also a ceton 4 tuner cable card in another htpc that allows me to record all my tv shows to the nas so they can be viewed on any htpc connected tv. All my tvs have htpcs.

In this setup everything will be fed via HDMI to a newly purchased Pioneer vsx-1120 and then to the projector.

Does this help to answer your question? If not could you please explain exactly what you are asking?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should I just replace the pc? And if so what would be the cheapes way to do this?

These are the specs for the last one I built but founds are currently too low to build it again.

CPU: Phenom II x4 940

CPU Cooler: Xigmatek HDT-SD964

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AM2+ AMD 790GX chipset ATX

Memory: ocztech 4gb ddr2-1066 gold

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100255DDR4 Radeon HD 4670 512MB

HDD: 1 128gb ssd, 2 seagate 1.5tb 3.5" sata 7200rpm

PSU: Enermax PRO82+ 525W EPR525AWT

Case: Antec Fusion Remote Max ATX, with LCD/IR receiver/remote

LG Black 6X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Model GGC-H20L

Dinovo mini

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudmeister /forum/post/19546225

Excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure. Here is what I have and plan to do.

I have 800 or so movies on a nas(a mix of dvd bd) and also a ceton 4 tuner cable card in another htpc that allows me to record all my tv shows to the nas so they can be viewed on any htpc connected tv. All my tvs have htpcs.

In this setup everything will be fed via HDMI to a newly purchased Pioneer vsx-1120 and then to the projector.

Does this help to answer your question? If not could you please explain exactly what you are asking?

The video will play fine. The problem might be if any of your rips used DolbyHD Audio or other HD Audio sources.

When you ripped the blu-rays what kind of audio did you encode? Dolby Digital or DolbyHD?

In any event I think you are going to have to use the card that I listed. It should play all of the movies that you have with the possible exception of any that were ripped with DolbyHD as this particular card can't bitstream DolbyHD (it can stream virtually all other vormats of audio).

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudmeister /forum/post/19546236

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100255DDR4 Radeon HD 4670 512MB

There is the answer.

If you are using this card now on another setup with no problems then the card I posted should work with your older setup as they are very similar.

I would give it a try. I think it should work well for what you are doing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts