AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here

HDMI Video Issues - Pioneer Elite 82...HELP!?!?

1849 Views 19 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  brianrt
While there may be something in one of the 40+ page threads, I thought I'd just ask here if that is okay...(the tidiness of keeping things in one big thread is the great thing about this place and also it's achilles heal
).

I am having an issue with my Pioneer Elite 82 receivers HDMI video output.

It has recently started to flicker when I switch to an HDMI video source. I have 2 HDMI sources going through the Pio. My PS3 an my OPPO DVD. I first started noticing it when I would switch over to watch a DVD through the Oppo and the video would flicker on and off for the first 5-10 seconds or so of switching over. Never had any on and off flicker when switching to my PS3.

Then, more recently, there have been 2 times where I switched to watch a DVD and the screen/HDMI output would not stop flickering at all and then eventually went blank. I could still get sound though. then, I would try and switch to the PS3 to see if that was working and I would get a couple flickers and then no video OR sound at all on that HDMI output. I can keep switching back and fourth from the DVD and PS3 and get the same exact results (same flicker time and blank screen).

The only remedy on the 2 times that this has happened when it has gone completely out is to shut down the receiver for an extended period of time and then it starts working.

I tried swapping out HDMI cables and doing different configurations but it made no difference. It's looking to be the receiver.

Even when everything is working, I still get that 5-10 second flicker on my Oppo DVD player everytime I switch to it. Then it just locks in and works fine. At first I thought it was just a syncing issue with the Oppo, but when I have had the 2 times now where it just never locks in the video signal and then is blank on the PS3 too, I am leaning towards the Pioneer now.

I would love some suggestions and input from the folks here!

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!

P.S. I do have the latest and greatest firmware update. The Oppo flicker started before I had the firmware update done, but the complete shut down of video after flickering just started.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Try hooking your Oppo and PS3 directly to your TV without going through the receiver. If the flickering stops, then you have located the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehead1 /forum/post/0

Try hooking your Oppo and PS3 directly to your TV without going through the receiver. If the flickering stops, then you have located the problem.

Good point. Thanks.

I guess I am trying to say that it is looking like an issue with the receiver, and if that is the case, does anyone have any experience with this type of issue or advice on how to address it?
I have been having the same problem and posted my exact same issue last night.

Have the same setup as you and same receiver. Wil try the suggestion, but I think its the receiver that is the problem.

Let me know what you find also.
I have played just around with the connections and its definitely the receiver.

Will be calling Pioneer in the AM. Will post what they tell me

Thanks, let me know if you find anything
Just checked the Pioneer site and the receiver needs a Free Firmware upgrade

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...940998,00.html

It appears to be a problem with a number the Elite receivers

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshaws /forum/post/0

Just checked the Pioneer site and the receiver needs a Free Firmware upgrade

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...940998,00.html

It appears to be a problem with a number the Elite receivers

Good luck

Thanks for this info, however, I have already had this firmware update done. This was to address the LFE issue (and HDMI issues when converting a component source to HDMI - which I never experienced). The issue we are experiencing with the video flickering on and off is much different.

Interesting to see someone else having the exact same issue.

I will try calling Pioneer as well. Although, I am sure we will just get the "take to your nearest service center" schpeel. God, I hate to think I'll have to unhook everything on this receiver again!
Yes I have a similar problem with the 84, I've had the 84's HDMI board replaced entirely and then this problem started happening...My issue happens only with the PS3 set to 1080P with games, setting it to 1080i works fine. Also I can watch movies at 1080P with no flickering at all. There is no solution to fix this other than setting the PS3 to output 1080i....Aren't we all loving HDMI!
Thank you! I have found others now that are having this problem! I got my 82 back in early April and have had this problem since day one. I have made several posts to various topics and got some help, but now it looks like we are on to something.

I have a PS3 and HTPC and have came up with the following results in my testing.

* All signals work perfectly connected directly to the TV. Mistubishi 65732.

PS3 @ 1080p 60Hz => Video drop outs

PS3 @ 1080i 60Hz => OK

HTPC @ 1080p 60Hz => Video drop outs

HTPC @ 1080p 24Hz => OK in limited testing

HTPC @ 1080i 60Hz => OK

Looks like to me that the receiver is dragging down the signal quality. Hence the random dropouts.

I am currently waiting for a replacement 82 to come in. My dealer said he talked to a pioneer rep and said that this is all HDMIs fault. Im calling BS cause this problem didn't start until recently it seems (early 07 builds.) If this baby doesn't work at 1080p she is going back!
See less See more
The HDMI interface is partly to blame because of its complexities, but Pioneer simply didn't put enough care into its HDMI implementation. These Pioneer Elites can suffer from any number of HDMI issues. My Pioneer Elite 84 suffered from just about every possible HDMI problem. I got frequent audio/video dropouts with my PS3 and video artifacts with my HD DVD player. My Oppo 970 actually worked fine when I had it. Anyway, I almost lost all of my hair when trying to deal with Pioneer's serious HDMI flaws. The company must improve its quality assurance if it wants to restore confidence among its buyers.
Well that must be why my oppo which is set to 1080P also flickers as well as the PS3. Its strange that the flickering only occurs at start-up and with the oppo allot of the time stops flickering once the dvd loads. Same with the PS3. Otherwise I have to plug and uplug the HDMI wires to get it to stop. The oppo tech said must be a problem with the HDCP handshake going on between the components and the receiver. He said to set the Oppo at 1080i and that should fix it, but then am losing the 1080p throughput. But then my Sony XBR2 is supposed to put everything at 1080p. Very confuseing.

I was told by Pioneer Tech guy that the patch would fix this. I guess I'm mistaken.

What's our options if this doesn't get fixed. I bought mine back in August. Some of you sound like you have gotten new units. How did you get Pioneer to do that?

What a pain. I knew I didn't want to use the HDMI interface on the unit but I have too many components now.
Interesting that most of you are seeing this when using 1080p. I do not have a 1080p display so all my issues are with the PS3 and Oppo set to 1080i. I guess it is not just a 1080p issue...
I'll let you know. I am getting the firmware update tomorrow while I wait and see what the repair tech has to say.

I was thinking of reconfiguring my setup to have the Dish 622 HDMI(which is 1080i) connect through the Pioneer and then have the PS3 HDMI connect directly into the the TV and use the Toslink to connect for audio. Do I lose anything in audio by doing this? I know with the Oppo that you have to use the HDMI directly into the Pioneer to get Super-Audio playback

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshaws /forum/post/0

I'll let you know. I am getting the firmware update tomorrow while I wait and see what the repair tech has to say.

I was thinking of reconfiguring my setup to have the Dish 622 HDMI(which is 1080i) connect through the Pioneer and then have the PS3 HDMI connect directly into the the TV and use the Toslink to connect for audio. Do I lose anything in audio by doing this? I know with the Oppo that you have to use the HDMI directly into the Pioneer to get Super-Audio playback

You lose all of the ability to get PCM surround from the PS3. You want to keep that if you watch Blu-Rays at all.
Thanks, so much for that idea. Well hopefully there is a fix
I too am getting a very similar problem with my 84txsi when I connect my PS3 to it via HDMI. I get every 10 second flickering of the video (this happened when I upgraded to 1.8 PS3 firmware though I used to get flickering on certain games before the firmware upgrade.)

I also noticed on both my HTPC and now via the PS3 I cannot get 1080p24 to work through the receiver but separately, on it's own and straight to the display when bypassing the receiver, the PS3 1080p24 output works great.

All of this works fine when I bypass the receiver for video. It sounds like the video issues talked about in their firmware upgrade page do not cover HDMI in to HDMI out problems?

I guess I'll give Pioneer a call today and see what they say.
I am bring the PS3 and 84 down to a Pioneer Engineer tomorrow to test in the lab. All of the sudden I am now getting flickers inconsistently, now every 3-5 minutes, and now in BD movies! Not sure what is going on here, I am hoping that I can replicate this in the lab...
I recently purchased an 82 online, and I am having problems with the receiver turning off by its self. This appears to only be happening during scenes with a lot of action/sound, and only when the sound is turned up below 33.

I have only 5 speakers hooked up at the moment, I am running speakercraft aim 8 three for my center, left and right, and I am running klipsch KCH-6 for the the two rear. I do not have a sub yet.

I heard that the HDMI is having problems so I tried hooking everything up through component only, and that did not make any difference. Has anyone had this problem, and if so what do I need to do to fix it?
Just an update. Took my receiver in for the firmware upgrade while I waited. Unfortunately the firmware stopped installing and the tech couldn't get the 82 to turn on again. so he ordered a new board with the latest updates. After a week got it back and everything seems to be working just fine. My PS3 and Oppo set to 1080P are running flawlessly.

The tech said he has done about 20 of these around the Twin Cities and that he has not seen any returns after the update.

At any rate for now, all is well. Hopefully it stays that way. What a major operation to unhook and rehook up the receiver.

Thanks for all the inpput and hope you all find a fix
Well I finally got my new 82 last night. It is a April 07 build date. And 1080p works fine now. All signs point to a hardware problem on Pioneers end rather than some HDMI issues.

This is now the best sub $900 receiver on the market IMO.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.