AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi everyone! 

I just wanted to ask if anyone is familiar with a good brand of HDMI Video Matrix Switcher that works with Control 4? 

I am looking for HDMI over CAT 5E/6 ETC 

I was originally going to use Just Add Power but for 6 sources and 8 displays i am looking at $9489 including a Cisco switch. 

I am rather new to the Home automation - High end audio side of things and didn't realize i was still a good $20,000 away from completing my installation therefore i am looking to save some money. 

I can get a refurbished atlona 8x8 switcher with receivers for $5,000 .... a 16 X 16 Atlona is at $9,999 - both carry 3 - year warranty's. 

Thanks for the advice in advance - I hate to buy refurbished but this HDMI switcher is a punch in the gut. 

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

As for distances they are on a completely different floor. 

We ran 3-4 cat 5 and cat 6 runs to each display.... dont ask why i mixed them up... i don't know either.

I couldn't give you an exact number but it is far for an HDMI cable. 

My home is a ranch about (2,300 sq ft)  and the cat 5/6 runs are from the displays to (two) racks i have in my basement. 

I hope this helps.... and thanks for the switch recommendation... I have seen them but i wasnt sure if it was good or not. 

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I thought HdbaseT was when you connect cat 5 into the matrix switcher and then the other end of the cat 5 plugs into the HdbaseT at the receiver by the T.V.  Then you HDMI out of the reciever box into the tv ? 

Isn't that right? That is what i was referring to. 

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes you are correct, there are also HDMI over cat5/6 that go up to approximately 150 feet.

Hdbaset is a newer technology and what I would recommend for your situation.

You could also get a matrix switch and the differ length HDMI over cat5 extenders you need and run HDMI cables to the TVs closer to your switch

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I see, Thank you i appreciate it. 

I am going to try and stick with the Hdbaset HDMI Matrix switch and hopefully the first one i buy works well. 

Have you every used Shinybow? 

1 - 8 of 8 Posts