AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May seem like a silly question but......I have dual displays, a 50" Plasma and DLP PJ both 720p and seating distance is 15ft. My AVR does not have dual HDMI outs and i'd like to be able to send source content to both displays. The only way to do this is all source gear inputs at AVR using component with component passing to the PJ and the AVR processing to HDMI and sending to the Plasma. I've got pre amp ins on my AVR so i'm not concerned with HD audio via HDMI. I've come to love this AVR (Sony ES) and rather not spend $1k+ to replace it. I've tried those HDMI matrix active splitters and well lets just say not very user friendly for the rest of the family. My concern is video quality and if HDMI is going to produce a better image....i'll get out my checkbook but if not...........

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

no, the answer is not a "definitive yes"...

the answer is "it's unlikely that there will be a difference, assuming that all the cabling is good, etc."...

the secondary answer is: "long runs with hdmi can be problematical, and if you don't need to use it, don't"...

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx Chris. I used quality in-wall cabling to everything so i'm not concerned on that end. My PJ does have more menu access/adjustablity with component. Most of it greys out in the menu when running HDMI.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I doubt that you will see a difference between HDMI and component, particularly at 720p, but my BenQ 720p projector does seem to look better with HDMI so it may depend upon the display.

You could do an A-B comparison between HDMI and component to make sure. It's best to do a "blind" comparison, with someone else changing the inputs, without you knowing which is which. To simplify the test you could move the source, such as Blu Ray player next to the display and just use short cables.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/19527879

Thanx Chris. I used quality in-wall cabling to everything so i'm not concerned on that end. My PJ does have more menu access/adjustablity with component. Most of it greys out in the menu when running HDMI.

you got it... always good to help out another resident of the black hole...

this situation falls clearly under the category of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...
you like your avr, and you don't have a problem with having the multiple inputs for each source, so sit back and watch a movie and congratulate yourself on saving money...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts