Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm in the process of getting an upconverting DVD player and I've read a number of threads on this forum about a few of the better ones in the $150-$200 price range.

My Sammy DLP only has a single DVI port - no HDMI. Is there any advantage to using one over the other? Is it necessary to even have HDMI?

Thanks.

-Sam

·
Registered
725 Posts
HDMI is supposed to be a backward compatible technology with DVI. You should be able to connect HDMI to DVI. Connecting DVI to HDMI may be questionable. I am using a SA8300HD with HMDI output connected to a InFocus 7200 DVI input without any problems. HDMI to DVI cables are readily available. I am using a low cost 3ft HDMI to DVI cable from www.pimfg.com connected thru a Zektor switch to a 30 ft cable from InFocus. Works perfectly, no sparkles or problems with HDCP.

·
23,031 Posts
DVI->HDMI or HDMI->DVI is just a cable issue as long as the DVI device is supports HDCP. However, with a DVI device involved you are restricted to 8bit RGB video only (no YCbCr) which may not be a big deal for you. With a DVI display, a HDMI DVD player will (should) act like a DVD player with DVI.

larry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.