AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that the overall sound level varies when using optical versus an hdmi cord? I just tried it with cable as the source and the sound level was higher when using optical versus hdmi. Any idea why this would happen? It was my understanding that they should be the same.

·
Registered
16,889 Posts
Are you absolutely certain that any and all pre-processing, processing, and post-processing that may be occurring with either of those paths is absolutely identical? Are you passing bitstream or PCM via HDMI? What is your "testing" material? A CD? A movie?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just re-assigned the "sat" input to use optical for audio and comp for video instead of hdmi for watching cable. All of the levels and other settings are identical. I was thinking that either one of the cables is defective or the hdmi cable was limiting the sound for some reason. They are both from monoprice as well.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think unjust figured it out. In the advanced controls part of the cable box menu, the audio range was set to narrow and the volume control was set to variable. Using hdmi, range was defaulted to normal and volume control was defaulted to fixed.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1  /t/1523809/hdmi-vs-optical-sound-level-variance/0_100#post_24517561

I think unjust figured it out. In the advanced controls part of the cable box menu, the audio range was set to narrow and the volume control was set to variable. Using hdmi, range was defaulted to normal and volume control was defaulted to fixed.

A lot of things like this are a matter of settings.  AVRs are very complicated these days, with plenty of things that one may set incorrectly.  And very often, people do set something incorrectly.

As for your earlier idea of cables being defective, with digital signals, a defective cable is not likely to simply reduce the volume.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1  /t/1523809/hdmi-vs-optical-sound-level-variance#post_24517378

Has anyone noticed that the overall sound level varies when using optical versus an hdmi cord? I just tried it with cable as the source and the sound level was higher when using optical versus hdmi. Any idea why this would happen? It was my understanding that they should be the same.

If all that is involved is comparing one cable to another, there can be no difference because they work with a reference level of digital full scale which can't vary.

There has to be some other difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts