AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a PS3 and my initial thoughts were: "I gotta get a HT with HDMI audio processing." BUT at the same time I don't wanna spend too much money on it. So eventually it became: "I gotta get the cheapest HT that supports HDMI audio processing."

Let's consider the cheapest HTIB that supports HDMI audio processing. Let's say for instance the Sony SS2300. It costs around 400 bucks. It's cheap, definitely cheap. Most of you will say the speakers are crap. My question is:

Are the speakers so bad that supporting HD audio won't even matter?

I mean, the whole purpose of moving from Optical to HDMI is increasing the bandwidth for the higher bitrate / higher quality audio to be transported. But, what if the speakers are actually not able to reproduce all that quality and hence reducing the sound quality to let's say, optical standards? Wouldn't I be just moving the choke point?

If that is actually possible, then what would be the cheapest speakers I could buy that would reproduce HD audio without losing sound quality?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredshino /forum/post/15592525

Probably. My brother in law has a kick ass theater room with axiom/denon/anthem components. We watched the Dark Knight on his Panasonic bd55 and to me it didn't sound any better than a good DD/DTS movie.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredshino /forum/post/15592525

Yes. I honestly doubt that you could tell the difference between regular DD/DTS and HD audio in a blind A/B test on ANY HTIB.

You would have to look at a separate amp and speaker setup and look at spending considerably more than 400 bucks.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmate /forum/post/15592741

Yes. I honestly doubt that you could tell the difference between regular DD/DTS and HD audio in a blind A/B test on ANY HTIB.

You would have to look at a separate amp and speaker setup and look at spending considerably more than 400 bucks.

+1. Anyone that claims they can hear a difference is probably simply hearing a volume difference, not a quality difference. Even professional reviewers with very nice, expensive equipment state that the difference is subtle (audible, but subtle).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers!

I guess that I'm not going for HDMI audio processing anymore. Just gonna stick with a cheap/decent HTIB and probably love it, considering I'm using the TV speakers at the moment.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I think it also depends on what receiver comes with the HTIB. If you can easily upgrade the speakers to something more capable, then HDMI audio processing would be a good future-proofing move.

If it's proprietary stuff, or you don't intend to upgrade, yeah, the TrueHD capabilities will provide minimal sound improvement, if any.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts