AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that DVI coupled with 1394 should be more than sufficient for digital connectivity for both high-res audio AND video. So what's the deal with HDMI? Is its only reasonable selling point that it combines audio and video into one connection? And what about SDI?

Most DVI inputs we're seeing nowdays are 'HDMI-compatible' (with a cable adapter), and yes the HDMI medium itself is a pretty fascinating idea, but my underlying question remains: ...why? Do we really need to confuse the average Joe even more than he already is with the inception of yet another digital connection?

Maybe I'm missing a key point here (which is probably the case); any clarification is much appreciated because this just doesn't make any sense from a consumer's standpoint.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Why have two connectors when you can have one. I think one is more sane than two. HDMI also requires testing and compatability I believe while DVI does not. So HDMI devcies SHOULD talk to each other and sync while it is obvious that DVI is completely hit or miss.

Gordon

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really seems like this is just another connection that you need your TV to support (which renders all incompatible TVs obsolete). I'm already starting to feel ripped off for buying a new TV this year with DVI support, which is what I believed to be the next big step. Even though the cut sheet on my Samsung DLP said it was HDMI-compatible, I guess that means that I will only be able to utilize the video portion of the signal, right?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
HDMI makes things a lot easier for the consumer.

Example: DVI can be rather picky about what types of cables you use. Length and accuracy of the connection can be real limitations. Using HDMI, you have a single, thinner cable which can be much longer. It's a smaller connector, too. This contributes to easier routing of cables behind your components, and less limitations about where you place them.

Also, it is possible to incorporate audio into the HDMI cable. So, no more plugging video (DVI, or YPbPr) along with audio (R+L, fiber, multi channel analog). Using analog signals, this becomes a mess - 3 component connections, plus 6 analog audio == 9 connections per component. That's a rat's nest compared to a single HDMI connection.

From a technical point of view, HDMI is also rather good: deeper color depths and support for 480i signals (DVI can technically only transmit 480p) are two examples.

I agree that putting out DVI then replacing it shortly after with HDMI is a poor marketing move. At least it's moving in the correct direction, though - it could've been much worse...

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
In theory native HDMI is higher quality. DVI is limited to 8-bit R'G'B'. When you convert 8-bit Y'CbCr to 8-bit R'G'B' you lose information. HDMI allows you to send 8-bit Y'CbCr to the display and IF the display has higher precision processing (14-bit in new 3-chip DLPs) then you can produce a higher quality image.

Some video processing chips, like FLI2200 and FLI2310 work at >8-bit precision. On the output, you have to clip or dither down to 8-bit for DVI or output at 10-bit.

Native HDMI can go further. The HDMI connector will fit through a conduit.

As yubyub mentions, 480i and 576i can be passed. If a better video processor comes along (and they are coming) you can get a legal digital signal from DVD player to processor.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Not only that, but if future sources provide 10- or 12-bit, 4:2:2 Y'CbCr, then HDMI will be able to pass those signals unaltered, too.

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
jbm007,

Netiquette, my dear fellow. You message has nothing to do with this subject + it's virtually meaningless.

If you want to go into detail about why your scaler blows everything else away, it might just deserve it's own thread + a bit more of an explanation about *why* it does so, and what "everything else" you compared it to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.