AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HDNet Announces Acquisition of Certain HDTV Television Series from Paramount Domestic Television; Deal Includes Conversion of ``Hogan's Heroes'' for HDTV Broadcast

DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 12, 2002--HDNet announced today that it has reached an output agreement with Paramount Domestic Television, giving HDNet the high-definition television (HDTV) broadcast rights to certain series, originally produced in HDTV.

Under the agreement, HDNet gains high-definition satellite and cable telecast rights for a number of Paramount television series shot in HD. HDNet will begin broadcasting several of the shows in early 2003. Initial series are "That's Life," "Big Apple," "Some of My Best Friends," "Love and Money, " "Wolf Lake," and "First Monday."

"We are very excited to be working with Paramount," said Mark Cuban, co-founder and president of HDNet. "They have certainly helped raise the bar for HD programming, and we look forward to working with them for many years."

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Me neither! So what's Mark going to do for programming after he shows the 5 or 6 episodes of these shows??

·
Registered
838 Posts
That's Life and First Monday were short-run ABC shows I believe. I think Wolf Lake was on CBS for half of last season. I don't recognize the others.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Not exactly the cream of the crop, but it's progress nonetheless.

Still, since these shows had such short runs it shouldn't take long to exhaust all the episodes. Hope there is more in the stable.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Some of My Best Friends is the TV version of the film Kiss Me Guido. It was painful to watch in standard def. I can't imagine it will be any better in HD.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Since there are more episodes of "Hogan's Heroes" than all those other shows combined, I would expect that we'll be seeing as much of "Hogan's Heroes" on HDNet as we see "MASH" on FX...

Still, I actually will enjoy seeing those HD "Hogan's Heroes" reruns if HDNet is able to offer them over the KTXA-DT signal here like they did for the demo a few months back. And hopefully it will be the start of other old filmed shows getting the HD treatment.

By the way, does anyone know if "Highlander" episodes were mastered on film or on videotape. If the former, I would expect that to turn up on HDNet at some point since Mark Cuban owns "Highlander" owner Rysher.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I think That's Life lasted more than one season. I'm pretty sure the rest of them didn't make it that far, in fact their may be still unaired episodes of Big Apple.

·
Registered
166 Posts
As mentioned above, Wolf Lake was on CBS for several episodes last year. It finished out its run on UPN (no HD) over the summer.

Bob

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Desmond
Still, I actually will enjoy seeing those HD "Hogan's Heroes" reruns if HDNet is able to offer them over the KTXA-DT signal here like they did for the demo a few months back. And hopefully it will be the start of other old filmed shows getting the HD treatment.
My only concern with the OLD series are that even though they were shot on 35mm, which makes transcoding to HD EASY, non of the sets were detailed for 35 mm since they were originally intended for NTSC television. I would hate to see TOS Star Trek in HD. That was shot on 35mm, but in HD, I would suspect that all that cardboard and plywood that looked halfway realistic on NTSC playback would like like cardboard and plywood! (think way the TV show Galaxy Quest was presented in the movie Galaxy Quest). Even ST:Generations updated the details in the Enterprise set from ST:TNG for that very reason. (they used the same set from the series for the movie)

Those who saw the HH test, did you see any "short cuts" on detail?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Yes, "That's Life" aired for 1 1/2 seasons on CBS. It starred Paul Sorvino(Mira Sorvino's father), Ellen Bernstien, Danelle Harris(little girl who starred in Halloween 4 & 5), Kevin Dillon(Brother of Matt Dillon).

Here's a link with info.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...let/showid-21/

·
Registered
800 Posts
Five episodes of Big Apple (a series about NYC cops working not-so-well together with the FBI) aired on CBS in March 2001. There was at least one unaired episode listed in TV Guide before the axe fell.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
actually after seeing mission impossible and hh, I would mind see something like STAR TREK TOS, it mite look less then perfect in some ways, but it already looks fakey anyway and still is enjoyable.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
> Those who saw the HH test, did you see any "short cuts" on detail

There were some comments made here at the time -- notably about a fake looking scar on Burkhalter. But speaking for myself, I found the HD presentation enjoyable and didn't notice any obtrusive short cuts on detail.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.