AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like HDNET might be testing some new shows for their upcoming sports channel? BassChamps @ 7:30est, I liked the Fishing Adventures show, but this one says it's not your fathers fishing show? Interesting...

Sports in HD ROCKS!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Is fishing a sport? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think tournament fishing is definitely a sport. It requires physical skill, as well as an understanding of the habits of the fish. The competitors have to deal with weather, time-of-day, underwater structure, seasonal habits, and countless other conditions in order to have the largest bag (5 heaviest fish) at the end of the day. Some of the larger tournaments have purses that exceed $1,000,000.

If I sound a little fish-happy, it's because after HDTV and home-theater, fishing is my favorite hobby!:)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pederb
Is fishing a sport? :rolleyes:
At least as much as golf is...

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
There are many sports that are not really well televised or recognized by the general population. I have had strange looks when I mentioned that I played paintball in the American Paintball League, the National Professional Paintball League, The Great Western tournament series and the International Amature Open. I get responses that basically say they didn't know there was pro paintball. There are so many sports that have high level competitions that have very little exposure. I am sure that HDNET can find plenty of sports to show.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with METANIUM about bass fishing being a sport. Tournament fishing for bass is becoming more and more popular. ESPN just recently purchased B.A.S.S. (Bass Anglers Sportsman Society) and they are working on several ideas to make it even more popular and make the payouts higher as well. I think broadcasting in HD will help the sport in many ways. I think when ESPN goes HD we will see it on their station as well, I hope. I am a bass fisherman and I am looking forward to seeing the show tonight!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Did you know there are Rock, Paper, Scissors tourneys? That is a sport too I guess! :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sumo wrestling, American Football can :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
...but as far as it being a sport, you can't classify it a sport if you have to be FAT to play.
I guess if this is true than baseball isn't a sport either :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow ADebar, that's kinda harsh. Just people stating their opinions here. I never said I would compare it to any major sport but I certainly think it falls under the sport umbrella. I'm not talking about sitting on a bank watching a bobber either.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADebar

if you are good at bowling, fishing, or pool you are a loser. stop arguing with me.

You left out motor "sports".

Ernie

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
...so ADebar, does that leave just the "Sports" where far too many of the players only care to perform well if they make as many millions as their competition, regularly deal with drug rehab clinics, refer to themselves in the third person, dance-preen-and act like they won the champuionship everytime they just do their basic jobs well, and (way too often) have trouble conjugating the verb "to be" in their day to day launguage usage because they never paid attention in (or went to) school?

I wasn't sure I agreed with the fishing crowd until your comment. It just reminded me how too many (again, not all, or even most, but VERY MANY) "major sport" pro's are such rude and miserable failures at life in general by anyone's criteria except their own and their peers...and they act prowd of it.

...talk about losers.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
First, the title of your thread is taken as a statement of fact, given that there is no question mark. I find it a very long leap to conclude that a fishing show means gearing up for a new channel. Did I miss something here?

It's ..... (you, being anyone, fill in the blank) that not a single response actually dealt with the premise and conclusion of the first post.

Fire away.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADebar
anything that you get better at "playing" when you down beer after beer and clean nacho plates is not a sport.

if you are good at bowling, fishing, or pool you are a loser. stop arguing with me.

i'm not saying these things aren't fun to play with your boys, but don't argue the merits of why they are sports. just shut up, loser.
Throwing a bowling ball isn't a sport, but throwing a baseball is? Before you go on about the athletic requirements of fielding and hitting, the pitchers in the American League do not do much of either. How about kickers in the NFL?

Not all sports require the same level of athletic exertion. Pool, bowling and fishing are most certianly sports, although they are not exactly athletic. Pool and bowling are competitions against an opponent. Fishing and hunting are you vs. the fish/animal. Please don't come back with a ridiculous statement like "playing candyland is a sport then." As adebar says, don't argue with me.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ernie
You left out motor "sports".

Ernie
Motocrossers are second in conditioning only to soccer players. Doing 500 miles at almost 200mph in a Nomex suit sitting behind a race engine on a 90 degree day is no walk in the park either.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I fish. I love it. It's relaxing. It's fun. It's a good time with my father and brothers. It's rewarding. It's all about luck.

It's not a sport.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
bowling is certainly a sport... ;) IT takes a very large amount of skill to compete on a professional level. Sports are not only qualified by the amount of physical activities required.

btw anyone notice the high ratio of mustaches on bowlers compared to the population in general. It must help them keep their balance :)

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Hey if soccer is a sport, fishing damn well sure is too since in either case you only have to have some degree of skill with but half of your appendages. Wait, I take that back. I guess goalies use their hands right? Well ok, but sometimes you have to walk to your fishin' hole too. ;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.