AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Stars game on HDNet looks bad and sounds worse. Camera operators and angles are terrible. Audio sounds like a tin can on a string. Looks very much like wide screen SD.

What's up HDNet.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I also have a comment regarding picture quality.

I watched the NHL games the last two nights on HDNet. The Los Angeles Kings vs. Calgary Flames game was awesome. Very crisp, good lighting, very detailed, etc. One detail I could notice while watching the game were the skate blade marks in the ice.

Unfortunately, last night's game between the Phoenix Coyotes and the Dallas Stars looked a little blury. The ice was a hazy white and you couldn't make out any detail on the ice. I have noticed this during other games in Dallas.

I am wondering if it has something to do with the equipment in Dallas or the lighting. I know at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, it is very bright during games on the ice, but then dark in the stands.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey guys - thanks for the comments. Unfortunately, the camera angles make a huge difference. And the camera angles at the American Airlines Center in Dallas are horrible. The angle of the center ice camera, which is live 75% of the time, is too low. Therefore, any movement from side-to-side is going to be exagerated, which makes the picture more blurry. I did consider last night covering more of the game from the endzone camera, but decided only to use it for power plays. I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but the high endzone camera looked much better.

The angles at the Staple Center in LA are much better - and that's why Thursday game was better looking. Also, remember that we hire local camera operators where ever we go, and there aren't a lot of guys who know how to shoot sports in HD. Sometimes it's hard for veteran camera operators to break the old habits of SD - but we're working on it!!

Thanks again for the comments guys - I'm always paying attention...

Mike Fox

Producer/Director

HDNet

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well to be more thorough. It was mainly picture quality and audio. But, it seemed to be all of channel 199. Your commercials were subpar as well. Again the audio was squeezed and there was terrible picture quality. HBO HD did not seem to be to bad but didn't spend much time checking things out.

I saw Todays rebroadcast of the Stars game in a Circut City. (Had some time to kill waiting on the wife.) It looked pretty good on the 10 or so HDTV's they had going.

I really belive it was a Direct TV problem or cause.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
The angles at the Staple Center in LA are much better - and that's why Thursday game was better looking. Also, remember that we hire local camera operators where ever we go, and there aren't a lot of guys who know how to shoot sports in HD. Sometimes it's hard for veteran camera operators to break the old habits of SD - but we're working on it!!
Yes I did notice this. The cameras were in to close most of the time and jumped around a lot. I felt these had to be different camera operators but, I didn't realize you hired new ones each time. And different cameras did seem to look somewhat better than others. It was just hard to worry to much about the camera's when the PQ and audio were so bad.

A friend stop by and I was actually embarrassed to tell him that this was HDTV. Oh well you win some you lose some still, I would check into Direct TV to see if they were giving 199 the correct bandwidth and compression settings.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,682 Posts
There have been a few posts deleted, thanks for your understanding.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i really like how mafox comes on here and mingles with the true fans of HDTV. i dont know too many producers who would do that. i had a more pithy compliment posted about him but i dont see it anymore. i wasn't aware that the compliment i used was a "no-no". sorry.

·
Registered
456 Posts
mafox,

I had suspected that hockey with it's fast movement would suffer from the low camera angles you mentioned at center ice in some rinks.

I'd be all for going with shot angles that don't require so much camera movement when you're in those type of situations.

B Held

Plymouth, MN

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey, that's not tonight's game. That's Saturday night's game! javascript:smilie(':mad:')

Pleeease. Don't use topic titles that use relative dates (i.e.-yesterday, tonight, tomorrow). Use the date, or at least say 'Saturday night...', which is a good title for a week.

Ken, can't you use the VB software to automatically prevent these words in topic titles?

Thanx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.