AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again our loop provider fails us. To update people we have been waiting on our local loop to the DirecTV broadcast center since our order in july.

As is phone company policy, the expected delivery date is tomorrow, unless of course it is the other customer date,

next week at the latest...

well we are still waiting for tomorrow and next week at the latest to come.

we are just as frustrated as everyone on the forum.

Because we have no loop, we have to send everything on tapes to them to use when we are not broadcasting from a live event (when we use our sat uplink). Because we fell prey to believing one of their this times for sure, we are late in getting a tape to directv, we instead put our efforts into working on configuring our servers rather than editing together a tape. So we are trying to squeeze in a new tape asap, along with a Pac Bell (did i say a name ...), ****ed us again tape , just in case

i appreciate everyone's patience and hope we have this resolved asap

m

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Yes thank you for the update, and more importantly Thank you for the HD Network, committed to quality images!!

Take care, best wishes,

-- Cain

·
Registered
733 Posts
Any Word on the NBA ?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Mr. Cuban:

Thanks for your update and your participation in our forum. Do what you need to do. We HDTV'ers have waited this long, a little longer won't hurt. We appreciate your efforts and your communication.

It seems no one is exempt from being at the mercy of the phone companies!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
thanks m, HDnet has the best PQ and the best sports programming. i liked to blue and white game the other night, as well as the cheerleader tryouts(apart from the oversized women). thanks.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Thanks Mark,

Several broadcast engineer members have commented about HD Net-"you have no idea what they will be going through!"

How right they were,as your comments show.Fight on with our support and keep us posted.The least we can do is rebut the naysayers.

Regards Ron:)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Mark,

I know HD Net must be a real sinkhole money-wise during the startup phase. Many thanks for enduring that phase and I hope that one day we can all point to HD Net as the first commercially successful high-definition network.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I would love to know more about how this works technically. For example, what is a local loop exactly? Also, since you have uplink capability, couldn't you uplink all of your programming directly to the Directv satellite rather than getting the programming to directv for them to uplink? Maybe you could do a show, taped in HD of course, about behind the scenes at HDNet!

Roy

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would really enjoy a "Making HDNet" special. I've often marvelled at the apparant issues involved with such a huge undertaking as HDNet. Bring it on!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi Mark:

What you're doing is a tremendous thing and problems are bound to happen at the start-up. Don't lose any sleep about it. Everyone interested in HD TV is behind you a hundred and ten percent.

Cheers. Don.

P.S. Come to Canda as soon as you have the wrinkles ironed out. Please!

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
A "local loop" is just part of a "wide area network" data link between locations.

The local loop part is between a phone company

"central office" and the "customer premises".

Often times you have 3 companies involved in

a network link... The local companies handling

the "local loops" at each end and the large

provider handling the long hauls between major

cities.

I don't know how "fat a pipe" HDnet needs to

directTV, but I have overseen orders of many

T1 connections for internet links or phone

trunks, and yes, endless schedule slips

can be a very frustrating part of the installation.

Telephone industry deregulation has just added

to the chaos and problems.

Hang in there...

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Yep, you're doing a wonderful thing here, so don't stress out too much about this kind of stuff that's beyond your control. You won't do us any good dead from a stress related heart attack. I think that we all owe you a good number of get out of jail free passes anyway.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by royrose
I would love to know more about how this works technically. For example, what is a local loop exactly? Also, since you have uplink capability, couldn't you uplink all of your programming directly to the Directv satellite rather than getting the programming to directv for them to uplink?
I suspect that the data coming off of a single transponder needs to be sent all at the same time. HDNet shares a transponder with HBO-HD, so it's not technically feasable. Besides, I imagine that DirecTV likes to have control over the feed for things like encryption. :)

Quote:
Maybe you could do a show, taped in HD of course, about behind the scenes at HDNet!
That would be very cool. Bring on the technical documentaries! :) (BTW, you might be interested in "Local News" on PBS -- a documentary about, oddly enough, the workings of a local news station. Interesting stuff.)

Alex

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote:
I would love to know more about how this works technically. ...Maybe you could do a show, taped in HD of course, about behind the scenes at HDNet!

Roy
Big time DITTOS from Virginia, Marc.

Your new network has almost single-handedly propelled me to get a second HD set for the office - when you guys reach your potential I won't get ANY work done:D

Major league congratulations are due your entire organization for establishing a new paradigm already for HD coverage. Way to go guys!

PS any chance we'll see the Dbacks in HD????

John in VA

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
I don't know how "fat a pipe" HDnet needs to

directTV,
According to other threads, they're using at least a DS-3, but who knows how much of it they're actually going to utilize.

I concur about LEC schedules slipping, I deal with it on an almost daily basis.

·
Registered
581 Posts
HDNEt is the reason I have HDTV today.

I'm sure that the advertising dollars will roll in for you Mark.

Someday Superball in HDTV can you imagine the comercials in HD and the cost per second on HD.

Thanks Mark C.

Hugo

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugomed
Superball in HDTV can you imagine the comercials in HD and the cost per second on HD.
Gladiators was cancelled awhile back. even it was still airing the commercials wouldn't cost much at all. showing it in HD would not make that much of a difference, financially. I did like the superball competition and appreciate your enthusiasm for seeing it in HD.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Mark, I love the new commecials with HDGirl. Could we just have an entire program with HDGirl at different scenic locations around the country. The photography on these ads is awesome. I love your enthusiasm for HD. You may be a multi-zillionaire but you act like one of us lowly mortals. Keep up the great work!!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Marc,

From my telecom experience, I've found that "escalations" can sometimes be very effective. I'm sure the VP or even the CEO of the baby bell in question would not like having to explain the delay in providing the local loop. If it's a case of you being the end user, you can always demand that your carrier escalate. Believe me, there are many valid reasons for delay in delivery, and not all are a result of the ILEC's inability to meet dd. But you would be suprised at how effective persistence can be:rolleyes:

THeMerc

PVR hit it right on the mark with his explanation of the local loop. It's basically any facility used to carry a signal from the last ILEC central office to the customer premise. Course, if the only facility available is not able to carry the required bandwidth, an order has to be written to install whatever is necessary to carry and terminate that signal (usually a mux fed by fiber).

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,620 Posts
Mark,

Once again, thanks for keeping us in the loop. HDNet is the best thing to happen to HDTV programming this year.

The wide variety of alternative programming and great sports will keep me coming back for more.

Best Regards,

Ken

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.