AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 Magic Trip: Ken Kesey's Search for a Kool Place will be shown on HDNet Movies on August 3 two days before it hits the theatre.

The times are 8pm, 10pm, and 12am Eastern.

Brief description copied from http://www.movingpicturesnetwork.com

Reviewed by Jay Antani

(June 2011)

Directed/Written by: Alex Gibney and Alison Ellwood

Starring: Stanley Tucci, Ken Kesey, Neal Cassady, the Merry Band of Pranksters, Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg

Using a colorful, freewheeling style, Magic Trip chronicles Ken Kesey's famously rambunctious cross-country road trip in 1964. Dismayed by the conformism of suburban, capitalistic America and by the violence up-ending the nation's cultural life (Vietnam, the Kennedy assassination, etc.), Kesey, the acclaimed novelist behind One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and a crew of ragtag friends, including celebrated speed freak Neal Cassady, converted a ramshackle school bus into a multi-colored Pleasure Palace and took to the road. Their destination: the World's Fair in New York City.

The full review

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte /forum/post/20769451

Thanks for the info. I had seen a trailer for this one, and am glad I can see it for free on HDNet Movies.

Doug

Cool. I posted this even though I said I wouldn't do it again. I guess I will for the next one if I catch it in time. HDNet Movies always run them on a Wednesday so it's not that to find the "before it hits the theater" movies.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
watched and enjoyed it last night.

anyone wanting to know about american society in the 60's should see this.

do you know if it will be re-run on some other dates?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally /forum/post/20779948

watched and enjoyed it last night.

anyone wanting to know about american society in the 60's should see this.

do you know if it will be re-run on some other dates?

No dice! It was a SNEAK PREVIEW and was shown that night and that night only.

You may be able top pay for it on demand or in a theater.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon /forum/post/20767705

Magic Trip: Ken Kesey's Search for a Kool Place will be shown on HDNet Movies on August 3 two days before it hits the theatre.

The times are 8pm, 10pm, and 12am Eastern.

Brief description copied from http://www.movingpicturesnetwork.com

Reviewed by Jay Antani

(June 2011)

Directed/Written by: Alex Gibney and Alison Ellwood

Starring: Stanley Tucci, Ken Kesey, Neal Cassady, the Merry Band of Pranksters, Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg

Using a colorful, freewheeling style, “Magic Trip” chronicles Ken Kesey’s famously rambunctious cross-country road trip in 1964. Dismayed by the conformism of suburban, capitalistic America and by the violence up-ending the nation’s cultural life (Vietnam, the Kennedy assassination, etc.), Kesey, the acclaimed novelist behind “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” and a crew of ragtag friends, including celebrated speed freak Neal Cassady, converted a ramshackle school bus into a multi-colored “Pleasure Palace” and took to the road. Their destination: the World’s Fair in New York City.

The full review

Was all the material in the film from the cameras on the bus? some shots

looked as if they had been done recently. and the hd quality of some shots

made it appear to me they had been recently. too good of quality for early 60's 16mm film. Would be kind of weird if they did make new shots, as it

detracts from the authenticity of the flick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.