AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all been spoiled by the fantastic picture quality that HdNet provides. Simply put, it is the standard that every other provider should try to equal.

So what is wrong with the picture quality of the few movies that they have shown? The picture quality is not up to par with the Networks, Showtime or HBO (despite their p&s policy, the pq is usually fine) or the pq offered by the few movies shown by ExpressVu.

It is not my set. I have a high resolution front projector and a brand new rptv and the difference between the regular HdNet programming and their movies is night and day. Is it just the particular movies involved?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I agree the PQ is pretty bad compared to what the norm is for HBO and Showtime.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Shelly - you've been lurking!

I agree about the strange disparity of quality. I have also experienced another anomaly with the audio.

On my DCT100 I leave the optical (TOSLINK) output to "auto" and have never needed to putz with it. On the most recent movie show on HDNet, the normal HDNet material was loud and the movie went down to the bottom of the well. I had to manually option the DCT100 to use PCM in order to get the audio up to listening levels.

It was a first, and very much a surprise. Hmmmmm....HDNet, you bruising the signal somehow?

Granted the DCT100 isn't latest generation but this issue, that of the audio needing to be manually set to PCM has not previously ever happened.

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
750 Posts
I watched a bit of a movie on HDNet the other night. The picture quality was not good, but I didn't associate it with the "HD" quality. Rather, the film quality (from which the movie was shot) appeared to be of low quality. So, I don't think that this was a "transfer" issue where HDNet didn't do a good job of transferring the film to HD video. In fact, there seemed to be a wide variance in quality from scene to scene. This suggested to me, again, that the source was not of high quality. As far as the sound goes, I don't recall it being an issue, but I didn't watch more than one movie.

This is exactly what Mark Cuban said would happen when he posted here regarding HDNet's content. He explicitly said that the quality of some of the program material would not be high, since HDNet wouldn't be paying for content. I've been spoiled by how high the quality has been ("Ireland", "Redwoods", "Mohawk", and sports). These lower-budget films are more consistent with the low quality (PQ wise). Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JasonATL
I watched a bit of a movie on HDNet the other night. The picture quality was not good, but I didn't associate it with the "HD" quality. Rather, the film quality (from which the movie was shot) appeared to be of low quality. So, I don't think that this was a "transfer" issue where HDNet didn't do a good job of transferring the film to HD video. In fact, there seemed to be a wide variance in quality from scene to scene. This suggested to me, again, that the source was not of high quality. As far as the sound goes, I don't recall it being an issue, but I didn't watch more than one movie.

I think you're absolutely correct. These films seem to be independently produced, low budget affairs. Likely they're shot on Super 16mm and then transferred to 35mm for theatrical release. The print quality seems to be the problem, not the transfer process.

What we're seeing may illustrate why a couple of years ago CBS refused to accept programs shot on Super 16mm for 1080i release. I think that is why Chuck Norris' series was shown in SD rather than HD...it was shot on Super 16.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i agree, these movies remind me of the good ole days of VHS.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I agree the movies are not very shaggy ...

:)

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
I have watched some of these "freebies" on HDNet and while they certainly are not big box office hits, every once in awhile you may just be entertained by one of these secrets. I think Mark Cuban's goal here is to have a very nice variety on his HDNet and this is adding to the spread. If you don't care for the particular movie, just switch to HBO or another channel, but at least HDNet is offering lots of diverse programming. HDNet is like what Forrest Gump's momma said, "Like a box of chocolats." That in itself makes HDNet fun and a central part of my HDTV channel surfing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.