AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have I missed a posting about this or am I the only one making this observation. But I just made a recording and HDNet is showing as 1920x1080. Could this be an end to HD Lite, at least for HDNet.

I just checked all the other HD stations, and HDNet is the only one that shows at full resolution.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
What provider?
Sorry, I forgot to mention that it's DirecTV.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Maybe this is a response to some kind of lawsuit or something. ;)

It isn't the resolution downrezzing that bothers me most, it is the extra compression that causes the need for downrezzing the resolution. Just upping the resolution while keeping the same added compression doesn't mean the end of HD-Lite to me. That can make the images worse. Although HDNet wasn't one of the channels being overcompressed a lot, last time I looked.

--Darin

·
Registered
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Tobin
Have I missed a posting about this or am I the only one making this observation. But I just made a recording and HDNet is showing as 1920x1080. Could this be an end to HD Lite, at least for HDNet.

I just checked all the other HD stations, and HDNet is the only one that shows at full resolution.
WoW! I think he's right! HDNet looks 100% better on my HDtv set today! :eek:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just took a sample at 16.76Mbit 1920x1088 off my hd tivo. Resolution has gone up, bitrate is about the same. There's much more noticable macroblocking on the basketball game right now. I will compare later today with Nothing but Trailers I have tons of them at 1280x1088.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanrobson
Just took a sample at 16.76Mbit 1920x1088 off my hd tivo. Resolution has gone up, bitrate is about the same. There's much more noticable macroblocking on the basketball game right now. I will compare later today with Nothing but Trailers I have tons of them at 1280x1088.
How are you able to check resolution with the HD TiVo. I thought that feature was disabled with the last update?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANSEK
How are you able to check resolution with the HD TiVo. I thought that feature was disable with the last update?
we (Ron and I) arent doing that. we (Ron and I) are capturing with a r5000 and checking the file resolution with a program like HDTV2MPEG.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanrobson
There's much more noticable macroblocking on the basketball game right now.
Please refrain from using words that you don't know how to use correctly.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Please refrain from using words that you don't know how to use correctly.
Gee, somehow I suspect a really nice response like that will generate some other words - perhaps relating to physically impossible things.

Just a guess.

·
Registered
69 Posts
sorry my english is not perfect. Is it called mpeg blocking? When there's high motion and you get big square blocks? english is not my first language sorry about that.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
So if I can get up early enough tomorrow morning I can see the shuttle land in higher HD. :D

HDNet schedule shows 4:30 to 5:00 ET for the landing.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I was wondering if something had happened because I just checked out the Heart concert that's on tonight and it looks stunning.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
That explains the bitrate imbalance between HDNet and the PPV channel.

If both were the same, they would each get about 14Mb/s.

Since HDNet is full 1080i, and the PPV channel is 1280x1080i, we get about 16-17 for HDNet and

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
So, the question is...

Which looks better?

1920x1080i @ 16Mb/s (now)

1280x1080i @ 18Mb/s (up until recently)

I would expect that on most sets the 1280x1080i @ 18 would look better.

The bitrate should go up to 18 at 9:36 (central time) when the PPV movie ends. That would be a good test to see if you can see the difference between 16Mb/s and 18Mb/s.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Any speculation on the reason for the change?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.