AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is is possible to transmit one SD program multicast with one HD program?

If so, then HDNet could piggyback on local OTA stations which never carry any HD material. The station would need a DirectTV setup on their roof, and a box that would combine the two via multicast.

-CB-

·
Registered
110 Posts
What CB is saying is that a local broadcaster (let's use a Fox affiliate - not Fox-owned) could negotiate with HDNet to relay their signal into their local market - say Minneapolis, MN - hockey country.

The local Fox affiliate, WFTC, could (when their digital transmitter is online) broadcast HDNet's 1080i signal along with a multicast of their regular SD Fox programming. So with an OTA tuner, you tune to 29-1 to get Fox's SD programming, and to 29-2 to get HDNet.

Who knows, if you downconvert HDNet enough, you'd have enough room to multicast Fox's ED fare at 480p 16:9 with a much degraded HDNet in HD. It could be an option. And since HDNet has an existing business relationship with Fox, who knows - it may happen... It would be a way to get HDNet into a lot more households - and more advertising revenue.

Of course, Joe SixPack will wonder why HDNet looked so good at the store, but a lot fuzzier at home...

And I didn't think of the problems with the DirecTV contract with Fox Sports, as outlined in the thread below.

"Damn it, Jim I'm an engineer, not a lawyer!!!"

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I think Mark Cuban has stated that HDNet would only be available via DirecTV due the contracts DirecTV has with Fox Sports. I don't think any local station would be allowed legally to re-broadcast a DirecTV signal let alone re-broadcast a HDNet signal.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I was thinking of something like a WB station which has no immediate plans to broadcast other than SD material on their considerable bandwidth. If they could fit the HDNet signal in with theirs it could give HDNet an OTA outlet with minimal infrastructure investment.

But I don't know if they can both fit without degrading either.

The underlying technique could get CNN into people's homes in digital (SD) quality for free. Or, I'm trying to remember from when I had cable, I think there was another channel I miss being OTA only...

Between cable and DSS choices, there won't be any movement toward setting up new transmitters to broadcast small collections of such SD feeds. People will just pay for cable.

But if a good HD channel could be tacked onto the signal of a station broadcasting SD for the forseeable future, that would be a compelling carrot, at almost no cost for delivery.

There are going to be a lot of stations coming online soon because they have to. They might be willing to carry HDNet if HDNet supplied the equipment (minimal I think) and helped out with the power bill.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
As far as multicasting an sd and hdtv signal at once, several Pbs stations around teh country do this, and I hear that the hdtv signal is still very good!

tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.