AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

HDNet & Stadium Wiring

528 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  MikeKO
Ever since HDNet came, I've seen occasional passing references to HDNet "wiring" various stadiums with Fiber to facilitate HD broadcasts. Maybe someone who knows the answer to a couple of questions could share.

1. If HDNet is wiring the stadiums, what kind of deal is it cutting with the stadiums to make money on the effort?

2. What stadiums / arenas have been wired, and which are on the list?

Mike
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Where have you seen these references? A while back I traded emails with a person from ASCN (the Paul Allen "HD" cable station) about the Blazer games in HD and he told me that they couldn't do any road games because of lack of optical wiring in the arenas. Sounded like only the Blazers and Mavs were currently set up.

ron
I'm pretty sure it was on this forum, but it might not have been. It was only a passing reference at best. If I get a chance, I'll search tommorow.

Mike
I remember someone (Mike Fox?) mentioning that they had wired 40 stadiums/arenas around the country so far. He didn't mention what they were though.

JohnR
I read that he had done it in the Time Magazine article on Mark. I got the link from the forums. Its a good article, everyone should read it.
Well, I hope Mr. Cuban is getting a good deal on this. My bet is that the stadium owners see some short term advantage, while HDNet is locking up a LOT of future broadcasts.

Mike
We actually manufacture/assemble part of the fiber optic cable assemblies that you're asking about (we design and manufacture specialty fiber optic connectors and terminate them). Yes, there are about 40-50 stadiums that have been "fibered", but I don't know what's on the horizon. It takes about 10 cable assemblies to do a venue. To my knowledge, HDNet "foots the bill" to this (at least that's who pays us).

FWIW, Marc Cuban and all the guys @ HDNet are GREAT. It's one of the reasons I bought an HDTV+receiver (for DTV).
How about a list of these stadiums unless it's a trade sceret.
So, of the venues that have already been wired what type are they? Football, basketball, baseball, hockey, various? I'm guessing the majority are baseball at this point.

ron
I would think all the NYC area venues are wired (although by Cablevision, not HDNet) since there are regular HD broadcasts from all of them, produced by MSG and FSNY. Madison Square Garden, Continental Airlines Arena, Nassau Coliseum, Shea Stadium, and Yankee Stadium (until last year) make that list. I don't know about Giants Stadium since there haven't been any HD broadcasts originated from there that I know of.
Quote:
Originally posted by Stanton
We actually manufacture/assemble part of the fiber optic cable assemblies that you're asking about (we design and manufacture specialty fiber optic connectors and terminate them). Yes, there are about 40-50 stadiums that have been "fibered", but I don't know what's on the horizon. It takes about 10 cable assemblies to do a venue. To my knowledge, HDNet "foots the bill" to this (at least that's who pays us).

FWIW, Marc Cuban and all the guys @ HDNet are GREAT. It's one of the reasons I bought an HDTV+receiver (for DTV).
Hey Stanton ... thanks for the info!!!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.