Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recorded the HDNet test patterns and would like some advice on how to use them. There are three. The first is a set of color bars with white to black black squares numbered 0 to 10 on the bottom (brightness/contrast?), a convergence pattern which I don't need, then a resolution pattern with the numbered squares. I want to set my color/contrast/brightness properly.

Thanks in advance

FREAK!

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Nice. I've also been considering renting a DVR/cable converter to record HDNet's test patterns. Despite several viewings here, adjustment for all the changing patterns within 10 minutes is difficult. Also, I'm not positive the signal from RCN cable here would match the DirecTV signal quality-wise.

The 'pluge' pattern of varying shades of black/gray/white (IREs) were varied with contrast/brightness until the brightest white wasn't 'bleeding over' from too much intensity, while the blackest square was as dark as possible. I found I couldn't get a smooth IRE change at the lower (darker) IREs, although I can by feeding in the Avia test-DVD pluge patterns. Several lower-IRE patterns were too similar in intensity with the HDNet pluge, despite adjustments.

From an earlier post here about color bars, I used my Avia blue filter and adjusted color for the outermost blue bars until they were equal brigthness, then adjusted tint until the center bars were equal brightness. Settings were very similar to my settings based on flesh tones.

The horizontal resolution wedge (vertical lines), numbered on the upper right, is read by estimating where you no longer see distinct lines--there's often a broad range--then multiply by 1.78 for a full-width figure (a 16:9 screen). Didn't notice but assume there's a vertical-resolution wedge (horizontal lines), too, but you wouldn't multiply that reading by 1.78.

The overscan and grid patterns are self explanatory for convergence and scan width.

As others seem to do, I usually adjust all those controls for the best, most-natural images, although it's interesting to compare settings. I'd prefer a calibrated high-end test-pattern generator before spending too much time tinkering with adjustments. There appear to be lots of variations between programmers with color and other encoding, too, in addition to 'artistic' manipulation of contrast or color. -- John

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John, that will set me in the right direction. I want something to set the color and all for the superbowl as I am having my DLP Dwin TV3 calibrated after that.

FREAK!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.