AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all
I have an AVR that has only optical input and 7.1 channel analog input. (no HDMI)
As a result, I can not use Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
It's very expensive for me right now to buy an AVR with HDMI input.
On the other hand, my player does not have 7.1 channel analog output.

I decided to convert my computer to HDPC (which will probably cost much less than buying a new AVR).
One graphics card (or processor with graphics) for the image and one sound card for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X with 7.1 channel analog output.
Or any other way you can guide.

My system specifications:

CPU i3 4160
Motherboard ASUS H81
RAM 8G
PSU 300w

As for the graphics card, I have considered the GT 1030.
As for the sound card, I know a few options with 7.1 channel analog output, but I do not know if they support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
I want this system to definitely support Dolby Vision, HDR+, Atmos and DTS:X.

Thanks for your tips.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,563 Posts
Sorry, but you're not going to have success building an HTPC to provide Dolby Atmos / DTS:X without an AVR that supports these formats. The way you get these formats on your HTPC is by allowing your player to bit stream the content via HDMI output into your AVR that supports these formats.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, but you're not going to have success building an HTPC to provide Dolby Atmos / DTS:X without an AVR that supports these formats. The way you get these formats on your HTPC is by allowing your player to bit stream the content via HDMI output into your AVR that supports these formats.
That is, it is not possible to send audio to the AVR via the analog output of the sound card?

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,563 Posts
That is, it is not possible to send audio to the AVR via the analog output of the sound card?
Multi channel output is possible but it is fairly limited to 7.1 or such. You can probably spend $700+ to buy a 11 channel sound card, but for that you can buy a new atmos AVR. Also, you're still stuck decoding the content on PC and I don't think there are any dts-x decoders. The Atmos app won't work on most players. So bitstreaming out over HDMI and letting the AVR decode is the way.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
See this post:
Link
Yes this is possible but you may as well just use optical out and send 5.1 to your AVR and let it upscale to 7.1. None of that has anything much to do with atmos / dts-x which requires more speakers on your ceiling etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
11 channel sound card
I just need 5.1.2 output, no more.
If (in the future) players can decode the sound of Atmos and DTS:X, is it possible that 5.1.2 sound will be sent to the AVR through the 7.1 channel analog output of the sound card?

Yes this is possible but you may as well just use optical out and send 5.1 to your AVR and let it upscale to 7.1. None of that has anything much to do with atmos / dts-x which requires more speakers on your ceiling etc.
So what do you think about this solution:
I will buy a graphics card with two outputs (HDMI and display port) and a second-hand AVR at a reasonable price but with support for Atmos and DTS:X.
Then transfer the image to the TV via one of the graphics card outputs, and the audio to the AVR via the other output.
I say this because buying a graphics card + second-hand AVR would be one-third the price of a new AVR.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Reza-D, just save yourself the headache and find a good used AVR or one on sale that suits your needs. There is no way your going to come out ahead on the path you’re taking. And have you taken in consideration how it’s going to operate? Are you factoring in the cost of a remote to operate the HTPC? What about the noise level? If you’re married, your wife is going to hate it. If you have kids, they are going to hate it. It’s just not going to work that well. Spend the same amount of money or less and just enjoy movies instead of chasing problems all the time, which is what you’re going to do.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
If (in the future) players can decode the sound of Atmos and DTS:X, is it possible that 5.1.2 sound will be sent to the AVR through the 7.1 channel analog output of the sound card?

So what do you think about this solution:
I will buy a graphics card with two outputs (HDMI and display port) and a second-hand AVR at a reasonable price but with support for Atmos and DTS:X.
Then transfer the image to the TV via one of the graphics card outputs, and the audio to the AVR via the other output.
I say this because buying a graphics card + second-hand AVR would be one-third the price of a new AVR.
If your used AVR supports atmos and dts:x then just hook up your TV to your AVR, your PC to your AVR and bit stream to your AVR atmos. No need or desire for dual HDMI outputs which is a huge headache to manage.

Also, 5.1.2 is not worth it. If you cannot do at least 5.1.4, it is not worthwhile to try to do atmos. Just stick to 5.1 or whatever in this case,. 5.1.2 is very unimpressive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your used AVR supports atmos and dts:x then just hook up your TV to your AVR, your PC to your AVR and bit stream to your AVR atmos. No need or desire for dual HDMI outputs which is a huge headache to manage.
The issue is second-hand (reasonably priced) AVRs do not support Dolby Vision and HDR+.
These only support Atmos and DTS:X sounds.

5.1.2 is not worth it. If you cannot do at least 5.1.4, it is not worthwhile to try to do atmos. Just stick to 5.1 or whatever in this case,. 5.1.2 is very unimpressive.
Considering all the content, it seems that the best thing to do is to give up HTPC. Instead, I will use the same 5.1 system for now to buy a suitable 5.1.4 AVR later. Do you agree with this opinion?

·
Registered
324 Posts
The issue is second-hand (reasonably priced) AVRs do not support Dolby Vision and HDR+.
These only support Atmos and DTS:X sounds.

Considering all the content, it seems that the best thing to do is to give up HTPC. Instead, I will use the same 5.1 system for now to buy a suitable 5.1.4 AVR later. Do you agree with this opinion?
Yes. I was one of the biggest HTPC advocates ever...way back in the day around 2006 I used an HTPC as a prepro (remote and everything). That all changed with Atmos/DTS-X. My HTPC now is basically a server link to my NAS - that has all of my movies on it (20tb) worth. However with a Roku Ultra and buying my content there, that's one less thing I have to worry about (and I'm buying 4k/Atmos/Dolby Vision/HDR titles), the Roku can access my server as well. It's almost time to put the HTPC to sleep or to use it as something else (music creation, web design....something along those lines).
Get a receiver, a Roku, Apple TV, Nvidia Shield etc and call it a day.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. I was one of the biggest HTPC advocates ever...way back in the day around 2006 I used an HTPC as a prepro (remote and everything). That all changed with Atmos/DTS-X. My HTPC now is basically a server link to my NAS - that has all of my movies on it (20tb) worth. However with a Roku Ultra and buying my content there, that's one less thing I have to worry about (and I'm buying 4k/Atmos/Dolby Vision/HDR titles), the Roku can access my server as well. It's almost time to put the HTPC to sleep or to use it as something else (music creation, web design....something along those lines).
Get a receiver, a Roku, Apple TV, Nvidia Shield etc and call it a day.
In this link, I asked the following question:
Are HD sounds like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio (except Atmos and DTS:X) very different in quality from Basic Dolby and Basic DTS (transmitted via optical cable)?

"TheGigaShadow" said yes there is a difference.
I would like to know your opinion about the differences between these formats.

·
Registered
867 Posts
In this link, I asked the following question:
Are HD sounds like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio (except Atmos and DTS:X) very different in quality from Basic Dolby and Basic DTS (transmitted via optical cable)?

"TheGigaShadow" said yes there is a difference.
I would like to know your opinion about the differences between these formats.
You didn’t trust me? 😉 My opinion is just as valid as his. I also told you to forget about the potential Rube Goldberg setup you were planning and to just get a new AVR. Now, three other people have told you the exact same thing. Are you starting to believe us yet?

·
Registered
867 Posts
My final note on this... whatever money you were going to spend on all these extra, crazy parts in order to not spend for an AVR... set it aside. Save a little more until you can do it right and get the AVR. It may take a little longer but it’ll be worth it and likely save you several headaches.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Also, PC does not support Dolby vision and i don't think there is any current support for hdr10+ either. You're going to be stuck with hdr10 only on PC.

Disc playback is only possible via PowerDVD which is $99 and needs constant updating - expect to upgrade it at least once every couple of years if not more often - so you'd have to budget around $75 more spending every couple of years for the upgrade.

If you plan on streaming video as well, your choices will be limited. Your best bet is to save the money, then use it to buy a last generation (2018 or so) AVR. Used would be fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You didn’t trust me? 😉 My opinion is just as valid as his. I also told you to forget about the potential Rube Goldberg setup you were planning and to just get a new AVR. Now, three other people have told you the exact same thing. Are you starting to believe us yet?
You got it wrong. It is not a matter of distrust, it is a matter of consultation. I was just trying to hear more people. Sometimes, in the midst of various opinions, someone says something that has not reached the minds of others, and therefore always hearing more comments may teach us something new.

·
Registered
867 Posts
You got it wrong. It is not a matter of distrust, it is a matter of consultation. I was just trying to hear more people. Sometimes, in the midst of various opinions, someone says something that has not reached the minds of others, and therefore always hearing more comments may teach us something new.
It was a joke. That why I added the 😉.

·
Registered
12,970 Posts
Atmos or DTS:X is more jthan ust extra .2 channels. They are meta data for objects (could be hundres of them) and require special processing software to translate/map into 5.1.2 or else. Such processing is not easy nor cheap and hence not something that exists in any players. Of course, you can pay $$$ to Dolby Labs or DTS to obtain professional software to do so. But that's way more expensive than probably a high end AVR.

Besides, Dobly VIsion or HDR+ are not supported in PC. Only HDR10 support which is also a meh in Windows OS (global on or off manually unless you use other software like MadVR).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts