AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 1194 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
Version 1.3.3 has been released.

http://steventoth.net

Two bugfixes: One relating to selecting the correct RCA inputs, front or rear. You can now use -A RCA_FRONT to specify the front connectors. The other more serious, related to HDPVRCapture stalling during recording, related to capturing audio via SPDIF - if your STB changes formats on the fly.

A recommended upgrade for everyone.

Important point. The app will also now show your hardware revision and firmware builds date, which helps during discussions.

- Steve

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigins /forum/post/15441668

What are these Rev(revisions, I saw the discussion but?) doing to change one Hauppauge PVR to another? Wouldn't it be smarter to wait until they get this right before purchasing,

I use the very first rev Hauppauge sold commercially, the rev C1. Revs after this have minor electrical improvements internally. I don't know any more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigins /forum/post/15441668

With the SA 4250HDC, can you run out HDMi to a display, and run out component to the HDPVR at the same time?

Thanks!

No, the 4250 doesn't support that.

- Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
I can add the retry option without much of a problem, but I'd like to understand your problem a little more before I do that. For example, I'd like to know if it's specific to your STB, or whether you can record perfectly for 2hrs from a regular DVD player.

The HDPVRCapture app doesn't have the ability to update your firmware, yet - so running the HDPVR once under windows with the later Hauppauge driver will do that. Do you know which version of the Hauppauge driver you ran with?

Lastly.... Look on the bottom of the HDPVR, check the white label, what 'Rev' is your unit?

- Steve

Hi Steve,

The issue of recordings getting stopped due to signal change may be mute now with your fix in version 1.3.3. I'll give it a try tonight, and if I still have problems I'll try recording from a DVD or other consistent source.

FYI, I'm running the 1.053 firmware on the HDPVR and have a revision D2 box.

Also, as a point of comparison, long recordings work fine through the EyeTV beta software. I'm not sure what they are doing to prevent the stall problem.

·
Registered
278 Posts
What's the best way to use the SA 4250HDC with the HDPVR? And will I still be able to watch HDTV without using the PVR?

Will V2 be more "Mac Like" user friendly steve?

I have to decide in the next 5 hours or lose the chance on a good deal for a new(Rev ?) HDPVR.

Does anyone know the latest revision(what it's labeled)?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigins /forum/post/15443658

What's the best way to use the SA 4250HDC with the HDPVR? And will I still be able to watch HDTV without using the PVR?

The HDPVR has passthrough ports for component and SPDIF. The unit has to be powered on for those to work. So you connect the STB to the HDPVR then the HDPVR to your TV set.

Personally, I use a spare STB and I don't use pass through.

Quote:

Will V2 be more "Mac Like" user friendly steve?

Yes, I posted some basic screenshots to the blog a few weeks ago.

Quote:

I have to decide in the next 5 hours or lose the chance on a good deal for a new(Rev ?) HDPVR.

Does anyone know the latest revision(what it's labeled)?

Not off hand. Good luck with the deal though.

- Steve

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I have a few more questions. Could the HDPVR be updated via firmware to record 1080p? I recently saw that directv is starting show some VOD in 1080p. Also, I just saw that there is a bluray player/recorder out for mac's. Would you be able to transfer the hd material recorded with the HDPVR to bluray disc?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Steve, the 1.3.3 update coped with the audio change just fine... thanks!

speters, the Hauppauge product page says 720p and 1080i. My impression is that this is a hardware limitation, not just firmware. As for burning HD material to Blu-Ray, Toast can do that with a plugin -- I also read somewhere that it's smart enough to burn M2TS files directly without transcoding.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
speters / fprefect:

That's correct, 1080i is the upper limit of the encoder, 1080p is not possible. I don't currently have any plans to support bluray directly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Steve,

Just wanted to verify that 1.3.3 did indeed fix the stall issue. I recorded two hours with program and channel changes, and the video and audio came through fine. Great work, and thanks!

-- archon

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Some good news, HDPVRCapture v2.0.0 beta1 is available for download.

More detail on the blog.

http://steventoth.net/blog/

Cut and paste your license key into the Preferences page to unlock all of the features.

All feedback and bug reports are welcome. It's still got a few minor issues but nothing that should effect basic usage.

If you don't have a HDPVR but you're curious, the application will run and you can navigate through the screens to see how the application functions and what features you should expect.

Regards,

Steve

Update: Yes, the icon is going to improve in the production release.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
1) Does this work for capturing composite video and digital audio? Looking for options for both Laserdisc and D-VHS conversion.

2) How are people editing these files for commercial removal?

Thanks for supporting Mac OS X with this product.

·
Registered
278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoth /forum/post/15458217

Some good news, HDPVRCapture v2.0.0 beta1 is available for download.

More detail on the blog.

http://steventoth.net/blog/

Cut and paste your license key into the Preferences page to unlock all of the features.

All feedback and bug reports are welcome. It's still got a few minor issues but nothing that should effect basic usage.

If you don't have a HDPVR but you're curious, the application will run and you can navigate through the screens to see how the application functions and what features you should expect.

Regards,

Steve

Update: Yes, the icon is going to improve in the production release.

Cool Steve!

Does anyone know if it says anywhere on the HDPVR's box what "Rev" the unit is?

If I can't get a SA 4250HDC, I'll be using my 3250. Any problems there, or should I get a 4250?

I'm still a bit confused on how to stream video through my PS3 from my MBP.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph S /forum/post/15458761

1) Does this work for capturing composite video and digital audio? Looking for options for both Laserdisc and D-VHS conversion.

This should work quite happily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph S /forum/post/15458761

2) How are people editing these files for commercial removal?

It converts the 720p recordings to mp4/mov, editable in various apps including Quicktime Pro, Final Cut etc. Your milage varies with other resolutions.

- Steve

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigins /forum/post/15458977

Does anyone know if it says anywhere on the HDPVR's box what "Rev" the unit is?

It's not on the packaging, it's on the white sticker on the bottom of the physical device. It's not something that should concern you to be honest. I'm not losing any sleep over having an older unit.

Quote:

If I can't get a SA 4250HDC, I'll be using my 3250. Any problems there, or should I get a 4250?

No idea. I only use a 4250, I have no experience with other STB's. Does the 3250 even do HD? Does it have component out. Probably I guess.

Quote:

I'm still a bit confused on how to stream video through my PS3 from my MBP.
UPnP . MediaTomb is the media server, your PS3 is a Media Renderer.

- Steve

·
Registered
278 Posts
My HD.PVR will be here later this week. Yes, the 3250 is HD component out.

I found instructions on what to do to get MediaTomb on a mac. I have Fink downloaded, but they're from 2007 and they seem outdated. It doesn't mention streaming HD files.

Can someone help with these? Only if you have time Steve.

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utiliti...Center-X.shtml

Question: Are the tools needed already installed in OS 10.5.5? Or do I need to install them?

Is the newer version of HandBrake supporting x264 do anything with this project at all?

http://handbrake.fr/

I'm also looking at TwonkyMedia. It sounds great but it's $40. There is a free trial.

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Multime...nkyMedia.shtml

Any comments before I try it later today?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts

Quote:
It converts the 720p recordings to mp4/mov, editable in various apps including Quicktime Pro, Final Cut etc. Your milage varies with other resolutions.

With the digital audio track preserved?? I've been holding off on Laserdisc conversions because I need to capture the DD/DTS/PCM from Laserdisc via RF-demodulator along with the composite or s-video. Sort of want to do it scaled to 720p or 1080i with preserved audio and be done with it once and for all.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigins /forum/post/15460718

My HD.PVR will be here later this week. Yes, the 3250 is HD component out.

I found instructions on what to do to get MediaTomb on a mac. I have Fink downloaded, but they're from 2007 and they seem outdated. It doesn't mention streaming HD files.

Can someone help with these? Only if you have time Steve.

I posted a smaple configuration file for MediaTomb on the blog (check the FAQ) a few weeks ago, this should help.

Quote:
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utiliti...Center-X.shtml

Question: Are the tools needed already installed in OS 10.5.5? Or do I need to install them?

Ignore these.

Quote:
Is the newer version of HandBrake supporting x264 do anything with this project at all?

http://handbrake.fr/

Handbrake is a useful media conversion tool, I rarely use it with HDPVRCapture.

Quote:
I'm also looking at TwonkyMedia. It sounds great but it's $40. There is a free trial.

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Multime...nkyMedia.shtml

Any comments before I try it later today?

Twonky is a great UpnP stack although I haven't tried it on the Mac. Save your money and use MediaTomb, which is free.

Let me check the MediaTomb license, assuming it's free I'll probably post a binary build for the Mac to the blog later this week, time permitting.

- Steve

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph S /forum/post/15460812

With the digital audio track preserved?? I've been holding off on Laserdisc conversions because I need to capture the DD/DTS/PCM from Laserdisc via RF-demodulator along with the composite or s-video. Sort of want to do it scaled to 720p or 1080i with preserved audio and be done with it once and for all.

Yes, from the STB the digital audio track is preserved.

What output resolutions does your player support via composite? The HDPVR will not upscale video by itself.

- Steve

341 - 360 of 1194 Posts